Lead, Substation Protection & Controls Engineer
- Lake Mary, FL
Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you'll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized power group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting-edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or grid modernization, you'll find yourself working with leaders in transmission & distribution, thermal generation, and renewable energy in one of the world's top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
Lead and develop the regional Substation Protection and Control Engineering team to ensure the delivery of high quality, cost competitive engineering services and recruit and maintain a competent and knowledgeable workforce. Candidate must be a hands-on problem solver willing to work through issues as they arise with staff, offices, disciplines and projects. This individual must also develop and implement strategies to unify offices, leadership, disciplines and staff to promote a seamless, communicative working environment.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Solid understanding of substation project scope and deliverables
- Capable of producing control building layouts, P&C one-line diagram, three-line diagrams, AC/DC schematics, control panel layout and wiring diagram, station service AC/DC distribution diagram, bill of material, cable schedule, etc.
- AC/DC load calcs and CT saturation analysis
- Acts as a key contributor to the development of P&C application documents to define P&C design scope, philosophies, methodologies and criteria for medium and high-voltage substation projects
- Review the design basis memorandum, detailed engineering scope, and guide the assigned discipline engineers/designers to align the engineering deliverables according to project requirements
- Review and accept vendor submittals based upon conformity to and compliance with applicable technical specifications and industry standards
- Provide construction support including resolving site queries through and RFI and/or submittal process, attending site meetings and performing site inspections during the construction phase of projects
- Incorporate substation studies in detailed design
- Lead meetings with internal and external stakeholders
- Coordination with equipment vendors, clients and other design disciplines
- Prepare Construction and Review packages
- Plan, organize and manage the day to day activities of the project from inception through engineering, construction, commissioning and hand over
- Report the progress of the project to the client or Stantec Project Manager
- Act as a liaison between Stantec engineering and construction teams
- Respond to RFIs
- Work closely with other disciplines to produce complete station drawings and package
- Preparation of project plans, management of work in progress (WIP), cost control, schedule, management of the coordination of the project engineering and technical support staff and management of project scope, including negotiation of scope changes with the client.
- Certify that Stantec's Project Management Framework is followed, including project reporting, management of project value versus project percent complete, and quality control/quality assurance procedures
- Ensure that Stantec Design Practices are followed as they relate to their Practice/Discipline deliverables and they act as a focal point for the Stantec Project Practice/Discipline Team Members.
- Perform QA/QC and peer review on design packages
- Schedule and coordinate peer reviews of said tasks including, third-party Practice/Discipline quality reviews of deliverables
- Oversee or prepare the development of man hour estimates and proposals.
- Interact extensively with clients, including developing new and maintaining existing relationships.
- Proactively use, promote and manage the Stantec Pipeline for business development pursuits.
Your Credentials and Capabilities
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and develop strong relationships
- Strong organization skills and ability to manage multiple tasks
- Ability to manage and deliver Physical Engineering deliverables as per project schedule and within budget
- Ability to lead team to meet project timelines for engineering deliverables
- Ability to understand client specific requirements (standards & specifications) and applicable codes & regulations for preparing physical electrical packages
- Capable of writing equipment specifications and review vendor drawings
- Experience in P&C system studies, relay setting, automation system design and field commissioning for MV and HV substation projects for utilities industry; ability to conduct P&C system study and relay setting/calculations/coordination using Aspen One-liner, ETAP and SKM
- Proficient with MS Office tools; familiarity with AutoCAD and/or MicroStation
- Able to discern complex data and disseminate practices, policies, procedures and context on project/program development to internal and external clients
- Requires effective negotiation skills to define contract terms
- Must foster effective working relationships between colleagues, associates, clients and officials
- Provide expertise to internal and external clients to resolve complex problems and issues
Effective Industry Knowledge
- Requires broad general knowledge of electrical industrial and utility power projects, including strong familiarity with other disciplines required for completion of such projects, including Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Environmental Services, Surveying, and Permitting
- Exhibit originality in providing innovative, practical and economical solutions
Accountability & Complexity
- Plans, conducts and directs complex assignments with a high degree of independence
- Assignments/projects are complex in nature and require the application of broad engineering knowledge in multiple disciplines
- Reviews and evaluates technical work of other professionals
Leadership & Teamwork
- Provides advice, direction, coaching and mentoring to other professionals and technical staff.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering or related field with a minimum of 12 years of substation physical design experience
- EIT certificate required. Registered PE or PMP highly preferred
- Experience on Utility or Power projects is required
- Must be willing and able to travel up to 10% to industrial worksites to support project work
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Electrical Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Florida-Lake Mary
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Manager
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Req ID: 2000019I
Back to top