Junior Geotechnical Engineer
Build the foundation for a lasting and successful career in geotechnical engineering by starting with a good team. When we say that we're full-service, we mean it. You'll find us in the office, on site and in the lab. We work indoors and out, above and below ground, over and under water, across projects large and small. From field exploration and laboratory testing to the design and construction management of complex geotechnical structures, our team does work that's rock solid. Join our team today!
Stantec is seeking a Junior Geotechnical Engineer to join our team in the St. John's, NL office.
The role of a junior geotechnical engineer is to work on smaller projects, and/or as a team member of a larger project under the close guidance and supervision of a senior engineer. You will perform a variety of tasks which may include proposals, reporting, calculations, and field work. The projects that a junior geotechnical engineer may be assigned to may be broad, varied and diverse in scope.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Working on a variety of small to large projects spanning from transportation, power, mining, residential, commercial, and industrial developments.
- Assisting intermediate and senior engineers with developing and managing the project scope, budget, staffing and schedule.
- Conduct field work and testing which may include borehole drilling, test pit supervision, construction site review, laboratory testing, rock anchor testing, slope stability assessments (rock and soil), and installation of instrumentation.
- Engineering and design of geotechnical systems including, foundation design, slope stability, dams, rockfall hazard analysis, soil improvement, and others.
- Preparation and coordination of the project specifications and construction documents.
- Preparation of proposals and geotechnical reports.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Basic understanding of general concepts of relevant areas of geotechnical engineering.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in a project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Understanding of geotechnical engineering concepts and ability to effectively communicate ideas to others.
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite and GeoStudio software packages.
- Developing cooperative skills in working efficiently within a team.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
Education and Experience
Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Geotechnical Engineering from a recognized university; a post graduate degree would be an asset. Minimum of 0-2 years of experience. Co-op/Internship experience preferred.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer - EIT
Primary Location: Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador-St. John's
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Entry Level
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Req ID: 1900038Y
Back to top