Junior Environmental Scientist
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We’re a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
You will perform program research, planning and development, permitting, compliance monitoring, inspections/enforcement, and technical support services in relation to air, water, waste, corrective action, mining, biology, and other environmental programs. May be required to write reports, develop plans, and implement steps to move projects toward closure in the most cost effective manner.
Stantec is looking to hire a Junior Environmental Scientist on a four (4) to six (6) month contract with the potential of being extended or transitioned into a permanent role.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Perform and document field data collection activities (including oversight of subcontractors);
- assist in the completion of project level work (data management, report preparation) on environmental remediation/management projects for commercial/industrial clients.
- Conduct multi-media sampling (soil, groundwater, surface water, sediment, soil gas, indoor air, etc.).
- May be required to oversee advancement of soil and rock borings, installation of groundwater monitoring wells, manage subcontractors and minor soil excavation projects.
- Prepare soil boring log and well construction diagrams.
- Perform operation and maintenance on remediation systems; significant decisions and deliverables reviewed by higher level staff.
- Learn and follow standard operating procedures for work assigned, while continues to develop skills
- Demonstrate ability to analyze field and technical data, and draft technical reports
- Complete applicable company and client required health & safety training (including OSHA required training) and follow health & safety policies and procedures.
- Follows established standards, policies, procedures, and guidelines to complete entry level and routine assignments.
- This position works as part of a larger natural resources team and will likely require support to multiple Stantec offices.
- A willingness to travel is preferred.
- Candidates will also likely be requested to support other service areas related to environmental assessment and remediation projects.
- Completion of fieldwork, including groundwater sampling and installation of groundwater monitoring wells, soil characterization and sampling, and soil vapor/indoor air sampling.
- Complete site inspections, Phase 1 Site Assessments, and compliance audit support.
- Complete aquifer testing, water level measurements, and elevation surveying.
- Provide oversight of subcontractors including drillers, utility locators, etc.
- Additional duties may include handling day to day tasks such as:
- Data management, Writing and preparation of reports, work plans, letters, and memoranda,
- Preparing cost estimates,
- Conducting project-related research (historical data, regulations, etc.),
- Preparing periodic status/program reports
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Working understanding of policies and procedures for HSSE, including client-specific training (as required).
- Working knowledge of field sampling techniques.
- Must have the willingness to learn new skills while conducting field work in rural wilderness settings and flexibility in undertaking work assignments and work independently for long hours in the field as necessary.
- Willingness to travel within area (day trips near Edmonton) and for extended periods (e.g. 1 or 2 weeks to a maximum of 21 days); including traveling by car or air and using ATVs and ARGOs (training available) and staying in hotels or camps.
- Experience/knowledge of hazardous materials as emergency response are desirable.
- Demonstrates use and understanding of these policies and procedures as appropriate to their work.
- Basic understanding of technical writing skills.
- Shows initiative in integrating creativity and innovation in all work tasks.
- Exhibits a strong attention to detail.
- Conscientious, organized, and disciplined.
- Open minded and curious; shows an ability to focus on possibilities, not preconceived solutions.
- Builds and maintains productive professional and personal networking relationships within their technical team and Business Center.
- Some knowledge of use of field equipment, GIS-related mobile data collection, reporting software (e.g., Parcel)and GINT for borehole logs is an asset
- Good driving record and valid driver’s license required.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, or related field.
- Minimum of 0-2 years work experience.
- Co-op / Internship experience preferred.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others’ talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top