Intermediate/Senior Vegetation Ecologist
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Your Opportunity Stantec Edmonton office, is seeking an Intermediate/Senior Vegetation Ecologist to join our Biophysical Team. With a focus on local projects, the successful candidate will be a key project team member in delivering regulatory applications, conducting field assessments, and achieving quality report delivery in a fast-paced, client-facing environment. The successful candidate will work on a variety of projects in a variety of sectors, including wetland assessments, biophysical assessments, environmental impact assessments, conservation and reclamation planning, environmental monitoring, and regulatory permitting. Your Key Responsibilities
- Lead and conduct wetland assessments and biological inventories with a focus on communities and species of concern that include rare species
- Environmental assessments for municipal, provincial, and federal regulators in multiple sectors, including oil and gas, land development, transportation, renewable energy
- Work on a variety of natural resource planning projects, including natural area inventories and biophysical assessments
- Ensure Quality Assurance and Quality Control procedures are adhered to and participate in QA/QC reviews of deliverables
- Desktop mapping of wetlands and vegetation communities
- Interact directly with internal and external clients and contribute to developing excellent relationships with clients, regulators, and stakeholders
- Lead and direct field assessments as required
- Train junior and intermediate staff in field and reporting requirements to meet project and regulatory requirements
- Identify scope and budget for proposal submissions
- Attend client meetings and participate in regulatory strategy development for projects
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Extensive experience with vegetation and wetland assessments, the Alberta Wetland Policy, and other relevant environmental legislation and regulatory agencies (e.g. EUB, AUC, NEB, and CEAA)
- Botanical and vegetation inventory survey experience including taxonomy and species identification
- Strong technical writing skills (including technical papers and regulatory submissions, organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to multi-task
- Experience and skills in rare plants, soils, and/or conservation and reclamation planning would be a definite asset
Minimum of 6 years' experience within Alberta which must include some consulting experience
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top