Intermediate/Senior Fisheries Biologist Lead
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
We are actively seeking a talented and ambitious Intermediate/Senior Fisheries Biologist to lead our fisheries team in our Terrace, BC office. The successful candidate will join our team of freshwater fisheries and aquatics biologists who value teamwork and enjoy the company of their colleagues. They will help shape our fisheries practice in northern BC.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Manage, plan, and lead freshwater field programs (fish, fish habitat, and water quality)
- Prepare or lead junior staff in the preparation of technical reports
- Assemble, coordinate, and analyze large freshwater datasets or lead junior staff to do so
- Manage tasks and projects according to approved scopes of work, and deliver quality reports on schedule and within budget
- Understand recent and existing practices and techniques for sampling and analysis of fisheries, habitat and water data from streams, rivers, and lakes
- Embrace and promote Health, Safety, Security and Environment (HSSE) Policies, Procedures, Standards and Guidelines in the execution of all work
- Contribute leadership to the group by providing supervision, training, technical direction, and mentoring to more junior staff and by contributing to proposals and other business development activities
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Proven technical, communication, writing and organization skills
- Knowledge of current provincial and federal government regulatory requirements
- Familiarity with freshwater ecology in coastal, interior, and northern British Columbia
- Required experience in:
- developing field programs and methods to meet specific project objectives
- leading field crews in the execution of fish and fish habitat field programs
- developing health and safety protocols for field programsconducting fish and fish habitat assessments
- preparing Fisheries Act authorization applications and Water Sustainability Act notification and approval applications;collecting, assembling and analyzing data (statistical experience is an asset)
- writing effectively to prepare technical reports
- leading more junior staff in the data management and report preparation
- Experience in some or all the following is an asset:
- developing habitat offset and restoration plans
- developing environmental assessments federally and provincially, preferably in British Columbia
- construction monitoring and environmental management planning
- business development and proposal writing
- ability to work in a collaborative team environment
- Capable of working with and guiding clients
- Thrives in an environment with diverse and dynamic projects, and enjoys working on multi-disciplinary scopes of work
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree in Biology is required and a master's degree in Biology is preferred
Registered Professional Biologist accreditation required
Minimum of 5 years of experience as a fisheries biologist, with experience in freshwater systems in BC and Western Canada
Consulting experience is required
An electrofishing certificate and First Aid are required.
Other types of training are assets: H2S Alive, UTV
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods. Fieldwork may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities, and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location: Canada-British Columbia-Terrace
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 190002RE
Back to top