Intermediate - Senior Materials Technician/Technologist
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Your Opportunity Stantec in Calgary, AB is seeking an experienced Intermediate - Senior Materials Technician/Technologist to work in our materials and geotechnical laboratory. This position includes laboratory work and construction field testing and review.
Your Key Responsibilities As the successful candidate, you will be responsible for:
- Carrying out laboratory tests within our soils, and asphalt laboratory
- Carrying out field tests for soils, concrete and asphalt
- Training and overseeing other technicians and technologists
- Ensuring field and laboratory equipment are maintained in accordance with specifications
- Coordinating with Calgary office Team Leads and Project Managers to establish priority of laboratory testing and schedule work to meet project timelines as needed
- Maintaining an organized environment including soil inventory and equipment within a team of laboratory and field specialists
- Interacting with Materials and Geotechnical Engineers routinely
- Operating computerized and digital testing equipment
- Operating and maintaining Nuclear Densometers
- Continuing to improve your technical abilities and certifications within the framework of the laboratory and field areas of practice
- Capable of lifting 25 kg test samples as required by the applicable test procedure
- Capable of lifting heavy equipment as required while performing field testing and inspection
- Ability and willingness to travel and work overtime, including out of town and weekends
This position offers an excellent opportunity for professional development and career advancement. The successful candidate will join our group of over 25 geotechnical professionals in Calgary and receive mentorship and training from our experienced team of technologists, engineers-in-training and professional engineers.
Your Capabilities and Credentials As an ideal candidate, you will possess the following:
- Experience with AT (Alberta Transportation) projects and associated field and laboratory testing procedures.
- Knowledge of soil sampling techniques and construction methodology
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational abilities
- Willingness to be a team player with a strong ability to work independently
- Highly organized, and demonstrate a flexible approach to work assignments, as you may be required to work overtime depending on our clients' needs
- Understanding of ASTM and CSA Standards, as you will be required to know these standards to complete daily tasks
- Valid class 5 drives license and clean driver's abstract
Education and Experience Technician /technologist diploma from a recognized college
Minimum 5 years' prior experience in geotechnical laboratory and field testing; 8 years is preferred
Current registration with ASET and hold designation as C.Tech., C.E.T., or P.Tech.(Eng.)
Experience with laboratory soils and asphalt testing procedures.
CCIL Certification for soils and asphalt would be and asset.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top