Intermediate Project Electrical Designer
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future- join us!
You will draw on your deep buildings engineering skills and industry experience to consistently produce project deliverables that meet project requirements and project manager and client expectations. Your work will consist of advanced electrical design for the built environment including, but not limited to, power and lighting systems and the use of digital practice technology; such as Revit and AutoCAD, and electrical engineering specific computer applications.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Design electrical systems for the built environment.
- Apply strong electrical engineering skills and knowledge to produce accurate and timely deliverables.
- Develop and prepare design documentation in written and computer-aided design formats to meet project and client requirements.
- Prepare required calculations to meet project requirements.
- Share knowledge with more junior designers by serving as a trainer and resource.
- Collaborate with project managers, engineers and other team members as part of a coordinated design team.
- Develop efficient and accurate solutions to design problems.
- Research, prepare, and present coordinated design options.
- Review drawings and research electrical and safety code issues to comply with national, city, state, and county regulations.
- Interact with clients and project stakeholders.
- Communicate with manufacturers and contractors to address challenges and develop practical designs.
- Provide contract documents that meet required codes and quality assurance standards.
- Resolve design conflicts and questions and provides recommendations to address issues and add value.
- Understand and work within project budgets and schedules to help project manager meet project financial and schedule goals.
- Provide construction administration support such as reviewing contractor RFIs and submittals, perform construction observation and punch lists, review contractor change requests.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Knowledge of power systems; voltage drop, short circuit, and building load calculations.
- Strong electrical design knowledge for the built environment including but not limited to power, lighting, device layouts, circuiting, panel schedules and load calcs, riser diagrams, and schedules.
- Ability to prepare and review detailed electrical design drawings with minimal supervision.
- Ability to integrate design elements with architectural, civil, structural, ICT, mechanical and other disciplines to deliver a coordinated, constructible design.
- Strong knowledge of applicable codes and standards.
- Knowledge of specialty engineering applications such as SKM Power Tools would be desirable.
- Ability to apply logic, reasoning, and organizational skills to structure concepts and ideas into deliverables.
- Ability to demonstrate a credible and trustworthy presence through professionalism and demeanor.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; ability to prepare and present accurate, professionally written reports and recommendations.
- OSHPD experience is preferred, but not required.
- Familiarity with various construction delivery processes such as Design Build.
- Familiarity with and ability to apply sustainable design principles within projects.
- Knowledge of specialty electrical or lighting calculation applications such as AGI 32 and Visual.
- Knowledge of fire alarm systems.
- Ability to create and edit technical specifications
- Familiarity Building Information Modeling (BIM) software and CAD; in particular Revit MEP and Autocad MEP.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or related field and 5-10 years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. PE preferred.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will
consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Electrical Designer
Primary Location: United States-California-San Francisco
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 19000387
Back to top