Intermediate Geotechnical Engineer
At our core, we're a community. Together, we exercise creative thought, developing engineering and designs as individual as the people and projects we touch. From approval and permitting to design and construction management services, we put the goals of our clients and their communities at the center of everything we create. Join us as we assist mining companies in getting mined materials to communities around the globe. Your Opportunity As an Intermediate Geotechnical Engineer, you will be a member of a multi-disciplinary team working in energy and resources; primarily on metal, coal and large oil sand projects. Work will include various stages in the project life cycle, form exploration and site investigations, through conceptual design, construction and closure. Our geotechnical project work typically involves design and evaluation of mine waste structures including pit walls, wast dumps, tailings facilities and surface water impoundments.
Applicants must be prepared to travel and be in the field for assignment intervals of two to three weeks.
Your Key Responsibilities Responsibilities and essential job tasks include, but are not limited to the following:
- Involvement in the planning, field support and completion of geotechnical site investigations. This may include instrumentation, logging, sampling field testing and on-site training and management of more junior staff.
- Review and interpret monitoring information from geotechnical instrumentation programs.
- Participate in the analyses and design of earth structures, including mine pit slopes, waste disposal areas, and tailings dams.
- Prepare or assist in the preparation of technical design documents.
- Prepare or assist in the preparation of project proposals.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively (both written and oral communication).
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite of programs, ACAD systems and GeoStudio (or equivalent) suite of programs.
- Work experience in mining or resource industries is an asset.
- Undergraduate degree in geotechnial, geological or civil engineering.
- Minimum of 4 years industry or consulting experience.
- Registered, or eligible to register, as a professional engineer.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top