Intermediate Civil/Structural Engineer
Stantec employs approximately 22,000 experts including engineers, consultants and construction professionals globally and is the hydropower leader in North America.
Stantec has diverse local presence in British Columbia with teams of more than 800 staff in 11 offices in the province. Stantec represents one of the largest engineering companies in BC with complete teams of local and experienced project managers, engineers, environmental scientists and technical professionals in the region.
Stantec is the hydropower leader in North America. Our Waterpower & Dams (WP&D) Business Line provides comprehensive planning, design, and engineering services for all phases of hydropower and dam projects.
We are actively seeking a newIntermediate structural engineer to join our growing WPD team in Burnaby, BC.The successful candidate is expected to work independently and under guidance of the Structural Lead as required to provide structural engineering services on small to large-sized domestic and international hydroelectric and dam, installation and refurbishment projects, with the objective of meeting the defined contractual scope, schedule and budget to the relevant codes, standards and company procedures. Occasional travel to project sites or other offices is required.
This position applies knowledge of civil engineering principles and practices in broad areas of assignments and related fields, with specific emphasis in structural engineering related to large infrastructures. The candidate must have familiarity with common methods for structural analysis and design of structures using relevant codes and standards. Applicant must be capable of working effectively with teams and clients, and be willing to learn from peers and supervisors. Work products will include field investigations of dams and appurtenances.
The primary responsibilities for this role will include:
- Prepare conceptual and detail designs, design criteria, design reports, plans and specifications, and quality assurance reviews, review of vendor submissions, and perform site inspections as support during construction.
- Perform preliminary and detailed civil /structural analysis and design of hydraulic structures, concrete, steel, masonry and wood structures under the supervision of senior engineers.
- Perform computer-aided modelling and analysis of steel and concrete structures
- Prepare quantity take-offs for preparation of cost estimates
- Support multi-disciplinary teams on civil, electrical, mechanical and structural engineering projects.
- Evaluate alternatives and resolve technical questions.
- Organize, draft and coordinate production of drawings and specifications to ensure technical accuracy.
- Assist in project administration including writing reports, gathering information, help in drafting proposals, drafting correspondence, and completing progress reports.
- Work in a manner to ensure your personal safety and that of fellow employees by following company health and safety guideline and policies.
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil or Structural Engineering
- Registered or eligible to register as a P.Eng with EGBC
- 5 years' experience in the design and implementation of large infrastructure projects. Experience in the design, field assessment and construction of following structures will be considered an asset: stability analysis of concrete gravity dams, steel for both heavy construction and miscellaneous metalwork, slabs on grade, elevated slabs, equipment foundation pads, containment structures and dykes, flood protection structures, blast walls, hydraulic structures, etc, reinforced masonry walls, seismic anchorage of electrical and mechanical equipment, powerhouse structures for construction and service loads due to generating unit upgrades and/or replacement.
- Strong hands-on working knowledge and experience of structural analysis software such as SAP2000/ S-Frame/STAAD Pro. Experience with ANSYS is considered an asset
- Solid knowledge of relevant design codes and standards.
- Knowledge of Revit; Civil; 3D and /or AutoCAD, will be considered an asset;
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English with demonstrated competent writing skills.
- Strong organizational skills, multitasking ability, and excellent computer skills.
- Ability to prepare complete, concise and organized engineering calculations and analyses.
- Detail oriented with the ability to balance a diverse and changing workload.
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams and interact successfully with all levels of staff, clients and vendors.
# of Openings Remaining 1
Experience (Years) 5
Discipline Power Engineering
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Charuti oversees the construction and design of transmission line projects that connect new and existing hydropower plants and plans the logistics for rehabilitation of existing projects.
Back to top