Intermediate Civil Designer
Your Opportunity We bring together the places that make communities feel like home whether it's an urban park, a commercial plaza, or a residential neighborhood. We do this because we're part of the community too and we care about the places where we live-just as much as you do. Join the team that truly designs with community in mind.
Your Duties Stantec Community Development team is seeking a talented, team-focused Intermediate Civil Designer to join our group in Waterloo, Ontario. Your technical knowledge and team-focused approach will enhance our mission to set the standard in our field for exceptional client service and professional excellence, as we grow to better serve clients, communities and provide greater opportunities for employees.
Relevant basic drawing elements for this position include, but are not limited to, surface creation / manipulation, utility plan and profiles, corridors and utility alignments, etc. Relevant project components may include, but are not limited to, concept plans, site plans, grading and drainage plans, roadway alignment, plan and profiles, cross sections, traffic control, earthwork analysis, water distribution, sanitary sewer collection systems, storm sewer design, intersection layouts and applicable standard details.
Essential Functions / Typical Duties:
- Coordinating with engineers, technical staff and/or team members within community development including planning, storm water, landscape architecture, geomatics as well as geotechnical, natural environment, transportation, and other disciplines within Stantec to ensure that the projects' needs are met in a timely and effective manner
- Assist with writing reports and design briefs to document analyses
- Following the process for obtaining approvals from various agencies
- Taking responsibility for the quality of your written, technical, and graphic work, and for completing work on-time and on-budget
- Perform all aspects of design (grading, streets, water, sewer, storm drain, horizontal control, signage & striping plans, etc.)
- Prepare / oversee the preparation of Construction Plans
- Taking part in QA/QC review of construction documents and technical reports.
- Assist with the preparation of Engineers Opinion of Probable Cost.
- Assist with the preparation of Technical Specifications and Special Provision documents for tendering and construction.
- Assist with determining the scope and fee for proposed engineering services
- Coordinating design drawings, in an AutoCAD Civil 3D environment, civil infrastructure projects including creation of 3D surfaces for use in cut and fill calculations, utility alignments, and profiles.
- Preform field observation and construction testing.
- Demonstrates thorough understanding of geometry and all horizontal/vertical design requirements.
- Capable of producing complete construction documents from beginning to end with little to minor direction.
- Capable of creating conceptual and preliminary layout plans with basic direction from planners / engineers.
- Communicates effectively with other team members. Trains and/or mentors CAD staff and entry -level Engineers in company procedures, CAD standards, and software. Ensures compliance with company CAD standards within the scope of assigned projects.
Your Capabilities and Credentials The ideal candidate will have demonstrated leadership, solid technical design experience and exceptional interpersonal communication skills. Specific experience and qualifications in the following areas are also required:
- 5 years' experience in the design of civil infrastructure such as site planning, roads, drainage, grading, water systems, sanitary sewer systems and other municipal infrastructure on development projects in the province of Ontario .
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering or Civil Technologist Diploma from an accredited university, college or technical school.
- Proficient in software skills in Civil 3D, including grading, pipes, profiles, corridors.
- Proficiency in GIS, AutoTurn, Adobe Acrobat and Microsoft Office Software would be considered an asset.
- Knowledge and skills required includes codes and design requirements specific to local geographic market.
- Ability to work efficiently in a high-volume, deadline-driven environment.
- Problem solving and decision making skills are essential.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, along with excellent interpersonal abilities and willingness to work in a team environment.
- Commitment to thrive in a proactive organization where client service is second to none.
- Experience in construction inspection, contract administration and project management would be considered an asset.
- Must possess a valid driver's license and good driving record.
Qualified candidates who are highly motivated and eager to be a part of the Stantec Team should submit their resume and cover letter, online at www.stantec.com/careers .
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Charuti oversees the construction and design of transmission line projects that connect new and existing hydropower plants and plans the logistics for rehabilitation of existing projects.
Back to top