Intermediate Aquatic Ecologist
- Burnaby, Canada
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We are a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities we support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec's aquatic ecology and water quality work in Canada spans habitats from coastal rainforest to arctic tundra, and project diversity ranging from grassroots watershed management to cutting-edge mining development. Our team includes nationally-recognized experts in water chemistry, toxicology, and aquatic ecology. A role with Stantec provides the support of leading scientists, with the opportunity to grow your career in multiple directions.
This is a 12-month contract with the possibility for extension or conversion to permanent.
Stantec has an opportunity for an Intermediate Aquatic Ecologist to join our water quality team. The position will ideally be located in Sidney or Burnaby, British Columbia but there is flexibility to work in our other offices in western Canada.
The ideal candidate has experience developing and implementing aquatic ecosystem assessments and monitoring programs and is familiar with federal and provincial legislation and regulations as they relate to aquatic ecosystems. Experience navigating permitting and authorization processes as they relate to mining and infrastructure projects would be considered an asset. Work to deliver on projects may include study design development, field sampling, QA/QC, data analysis, environmental assessment, and environmental effects monitoring.
As an Aquatic Ecologist, you will conduct exciting work with multi-disciplinary teams, on varied projects across Canada. You will also provide sound advice to industry, regulators, and internal team members. The successful candidate will join a group who value teamwork and enjoy the company of their colleagues.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Develop, lead, manage and support aquatic resource and water quality components of projects
- Design field sampling programs for baseline characterization, transport and effects assessment, of chemical parameters in the aquatic environment
- Interpret water quality data in relation to aquatic biota, livestock, and/or human health
- Perform statistical analyses to detect spatial and temporal trends, significant differences, and guideline exceedances
- Promote a strong health and safety culture and actively participate in Stantec's Health, Safety, Security and Environment Program
- Proposal writing, technical report writing and preparation
- Quality review of technical documents; and
- Field work as needed.
Your Capabilities and Experience
- Understanding of federal and provincial environmental regulatory requirements
- Understanding of federal and provincial water and sediment quality guidelines
- Understanding of how water quality influences biological communities
- Experience in:
- Study design and methods to meet specific project objectives
- Developing field programs and leading field crews
- Developing health and safety protocols for field programs
- Analyzing data (statistical experience and experience using R are assets)
- Writing clear, concise and accurate technical reports, environmental assessments and other industry documents
- Leading junior staff in data management and report preparation
- Willingness to travel for project work
- Strong interpersonal and social skills, and ability to interact across a broad range of audiences/ technical backgrounds, including internal and external clients and regulatory agencies
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
Education and Experience
A minimum of a Bachelor's degree in environmental sciences.
Registered, or eligible to register, with the British Columbia College of Applied Biology is required.
Minimum of 5-10 years of experience related to aquatic ecology, with relevant consulting experience as outlined in the Capabilities and Experience section below.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs (i.e., carry field equipment and samples).
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Environmental Scientist
Primary Location: Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby
Other Locations: Canada-British Columbia-Sidney
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 200000G0
Back to top