The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future- join us!
Join a Top 10 global design firm in our Texas buildings practice that provides Interior Design, Architecture, and Buildings Engineering services with a long history and deep commitment to the education sector. Our Houston office is seeking an Interior Designer to join our interdisciplinary team.
The primary role of the Interior Designer is to interpret and translate the needs and desires of a client as well as any architectural direction set forth into cohesive interior design solutions. This process may involve production of drawings(2D/3D), and written material to support the conceptual direction of interior design and FFE. An Interior Designer is expected to work collaboratively with the architectural team, conceptualizing, developing and documenting varying aspects of interior design of a project, including but not limited to space planning, interior architecture, interior materials and palette, specifications and FFE. This individual will often be required to present their ideas in formal and informal settings.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Inspires creativity, critical thought, and design excellence both internally and externally.
- Conceptualizes and develops interior design from both a functional and aesthetic perspective in concert with a client's requirements, budget, and program.
- Participates in the development of the program, vision and other pre-design efforts.
- Produces front-end graphics and visualization efforts.
- Develops space planning, block planning, and adjacency diagrams in coordination with project program.
- Develops the interior design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats to express the design intent and coordinate with Project Designer.
- Utilizes BIM technologies in the development of three-dimensional models of interiors and their components.
- Leads others in a project team setting and design critiques and pin-ups.
- Presents the interior design to stakeholders.
- Ensures design complies with building codes, ADA guidelines and LEED per project type and requirements.
- Evaluates and selects interior systems and materials, finishes and fixtures.
- Coordinates project systems to ensure compatibility with the design intent and implements sustainable design principles.
- Develops interior design in accordance with cost parameters and ensures interior design intent is maintained through documentation and construction.
- Completes FFE scope tasks from design and selection through bid, coordinating with specific client and project needs.
- Participates in employee performance reviews and interviews of potential employees.
- Demonstrates a commitment to the profession and the firm by participating in a professional organization.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Passionate about designing K-12 education environments.
- Able to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Driven to produce excellent design.
- Effective and efficient at communicating design ideas. Strong graphics and visualization skills to effectively and quickly communicate design ideas.
- Engaged in project team settings.
- Qualified to lead one or more teams on small projects through the development of interior design concept and project completion.
- May be responsible for checking the work of others for accuracy and completeness.
- Adept at interpreting and integrating sketches, drawings, codes, and program requirements into successful design solutions.
- Successful presenting abstract ideas to the client.
- Experienced applying applicable building, life-safety and accessibility codes to a wide variety of project scopes and complexity.
- Knowledgeable regarding the relationship between drawings and specifications.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Revit, AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, SketchUP, Newforma, and current modeling software.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Interior Design or related field.
Licensed Interior Designer.
K12/Education portfolio required.
Minimum of 5-6 years of experience.
LEED Green Associate or LEED AP preferred.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Interior Designer
Primary Location: United States-Texas-Houston
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Req ID: 190003IR
Back to top