Industrial Engineer Discipline Lead, Buildings
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
The Vancouver Civic | Industrial Studio offers services for all phases of the project life cycle from pre-project planning through to detailed design for engineer analysis studies, and construction documents for capital investment projects. This is where great ideas and rewarding careers are built. Exercising creativity and ingenuity, our team develops unique solutions for our clients that integrate people, materials, equipment and information in productive ways. Our professionals deliver convenient, integrated, and practical solutions to complex industrial problems. Comprised of industry process experts, engineers, architects, as well as occupational health and safety professionals, we provide career opportunities as unique as you are.
A key factor in the success of the Civic | Industrial Studio has been our commitment to a fully integrated A/E design approach where information and ideas are freely shared and decisions and direction are effectively communicated. The Studio is made up of all key disciplines - architecture, industrial, structural, mechanical, electrical, civil and project management. This approach provides us with a better overall understanding of the challenges and opportunities inherent in our projects, and our clients benefit from the robust, integrated design solutions that are developed and delivered.
Stantec utilizes a team approach to the work - a team made up of the client, operators, stakeholders, and Stantec - where information and ideas are shared and decisions and direction are effectively communicated. This approach leverages the collective experience and expertise of the team to create robust solutions for our clients. Our clients come from manufacturing, food & beverage, transit, municipal, and national defense sectors. Some of our project types include new construction and renovation of:
- Aircraft hangars
- Food processing facilities
- Warehousing and distribution centres
- Vehicle maintenance facilities for light rail, heavy rail, bus, fleet, mining, etc.
- Component manufacturing and assembly facilities
- Other light industrial projects
- Staff support facilities for the above facility types
We have a new opportunity for an Industrial Engineering Discipline Lead. This is an excellent opportunity for an Industrial Facility Planner, Engineer or Architect who has an interest in business planning and implementation, developing client relationships, and designing light industrial facilities. Design work primarily involves functional planning, workflow and facility optimization, and facility layout. You will also be responsible for leading, mentoring, and developing a team of up to eight (8) junior-level Engineers, EITs, and designers through coaching and daily supervision.
The successful candidate will be involved in:
- Leading a team of junior-level Engineers, EITs, and designers including responsibility for administrative approvals, one-on-one mentorship, resource allocation, and career development.
- Business development and client relationship management.
- Development and implementation of sector strategic business plan(s).
- Developing project-specific workplans, required labor hours, and resources required for Industrial Engineering projects.
- Partnering with other business lines to explore opportunities and to deliver projects.
- Client stakeholder management to develop project and facility requirements for space planning, equipment layout, and multi-discipline coordination purposes.
- Functional planning of industrial facilities including needs assessment, master planning, facility optimization, and workflow optimization.
- Multi-discipline design coordination of large, complex industrial facilities projects.
- Developing, tracking, updating, forecasting, and modifying project schedules and budgets throughout all project phases.
- Working with an integrated project delivery team which includes Industrial, Civil, Structural, Electrical, Mechanical, and Process Engineers and Architects.
- Perform industrial engineering studies such as time and motion, material flow, equipment flow, and vehicle turning simulations.
- Development of shop equipment requirements and specifications.
Our team demonstrates a commitment to thrive in a team-oriented, proactive organization where client service is of the highest priority.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Engineering or Architecture with at least eight (8) years of experience in industrial facility planning, design and/or design management, preferably using Lean/IE principles or equivalent education and/or experience.
- Familiarity with integrated, collaborative industrial facility design processes.
- Working knowledge and understanding of Building Information Modeling (BIM).
- Experience in multiple project delivery methods, including design/build, integrated project delivery, P3, etc. is an asset.
- Highly effective interpersonal communication and people management skills.
- Excellent ability to write clear and articulate reports.
- Experience in discrete event simulation is an asset.
- Some LEED® experience is an asset.
- Project management, including scope, schedule, and budget control.
- Professionally accredited degree in Architecture or Engineering in support of a professional license is required.
- Registration or credentials to register as an Engineer or Architect in Canada is required.
Note: Must be able to travel out of town for multiple days and must have a valid driver's license.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Industrial/Manufacturing Engineer
Primary Location: Canada-British Columbia-Vancouver
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Req ID: 19000299
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Jon H.Operations Director
Jon is responsible for growing Stantec in the northwest region of the United Kingdom and leading and guiding the team in this area.
Back to top