Join a team that has been partnering with our clients for more than 100 years to improve the quality of life around the world. When it comes to hydropower, dams, locks and navigation projects, we design with the next generation in mind. We operate with the strength of a $3B company paired with the agility of a specialized waterpower and dams group, to deliver some of the most iconic and cutting edge projects around the world. This proud legacy has fostered a culture of innovation and safety, leading our team to design the world's most impactful waterpower and dam projects-projects vital to both local and global communities.
Your opportunity Stantec is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Mechanical Engineer located in our Walnut Creek, California office. In this position, the applicant will work with a multi-discipline group of engineers and technicians in providing technical services to public and private sector clients. This position will be working in the field of mechanical engineering on hydroelectric and water resource projects. Candidate shall possess strong computer, writing, and communication skills and shall work well in a team environment. The candidate will work under the direction of senior and principal level engineers and project managers. Assignments may support new development, modernization, and upgrade of mechanical equipment and balance of plant mechanical systems.
Your key responsibilities
- Assist with hydraulic turbine selections, cost estimating, equipment layout and coordination with other engineering disciplines during preliminary feasibility studies and design
- Analyses and design as well as construction services related to the mechanical equipment and balance of plant mechanical systems
- Organization and review of supplier design submittals
- Witness of equipment inspections and tests
- Witness of hydraulic turbine scale model tests and review of model test reports
- Condition assessment of equipment (crawl thru inspection) at site
- Preparation of procurement and construction specifications
- Evaluation of bids and contract negotiations
- Field activities including providing technical assistance during construction, installation, site inspections, testing and commissioning, and other site work
- Development of scope of work and cost estimates for mechanical engineering tasks for change orders and proposals
- Maintains an internal network of peers and subject matter experts
- Establishes and maintains a positive client relationship
- Applicant shall work in a manner to ensure personal safety and that of fellow employees by following company health and safety guidelines and policies
- Domestic or international travel may be required
- EIT required, PE preferred
- California PE required within two years of employment date
- Must demonstrate good interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment
- Must demonstrate good written and oral communication skills in English
- Must demonstrate the ability to convey project technical information to project managers, clients and peers
- Must demonstrate organizational skills, and the ability to multi-task, prioritize, and take direction
- Basic computer knowledge is required including "Microsoft Office"
- Must have an intermediate knowledge of pumps, turbines, controllers, cranes, gates, and valves
- Must have an intermediate knowledge of oil, water, air, and fire protection systems
- Must have intermediate knowledge of calculations for mechanical energy requirements and piping losses in water conveyance systems
- Must be willing to travel occasionally, as dictated by project workload
- Strong willingness to be a part of a large global engineering company, and to work with teams in other offices around the world
- Advanced degree in mechanical engineering or related field is preferred
- Experience in water resources or hydroelectric power is preferred
- Intermediate level of experience in Finite Element Analysis and or Computational Fluid Dynamics is a plus
- CADD (Computer-Aided Design and Drafting) experience preferred and Micro Station or AutoCAD experience is a plus
- Ability to speak a foreign language is a plus
Your education and experience Bachelor of Science in mechanical engineering is required
1 to 3 years' of progressive experience in design and implementation of solutions in mechanical engineering
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top