Healthcare Design Principal
- Philadelphia, PA
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future-join us!
Your opportunity is to join a dynamic and growing healthcare team based in Philadelphia Pennsylvania. You would join a team of 6 healthcare principals that has an established network of local clients and is strategically growing national projects and partnerships. Through a mix of internal promotion and external recruitment, the Philadelphia health practice is growing to fulfill a vision to be a strategic partner to clients locally and nationally.
Your role as a Healthcare Principal on our professional Architecture, Interior Design and Engineering team is to work collaboratively, or independently as needed, to grow client accounts and manage key projects and pursuits. Specific to projects you will assist clients through the planning and creation of projects that are rooted in a deep understanding of our client's needs, are fiscally responsible, and represent design excellence. Your experience ensures that you are quite familiar with the design process from inception through close-out, including healthcare planning, code and regulatory requirements, contract documentation, estimates and building codes. You will lead diverse integrated project teams successfully through the design process, managing workflow and production activities, while ensuring client satisfaction with the process and product. You will assist in business development activities, nurturing existing client accounts and seeking to grow our client base through building new relationships and project pursuits.
As a member of our Philadelphia leadership team, you will be expected to help reinforce a collaborative and engaging environment for the teams that you lead while also ensuring design excellence, exceptional project delivery, and the highest levels of client satisfaction. You will be expected to have a strong foundation of project management skills, but also an understanding that management of the design process requires hands on problem solving, a growth mindset, a willingness to be inclusive of all perspectives, and the ability to see challenges as opportunities, not problems. As a leader, you are expected to display the highest moral conduct and ethical standards.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Advocate and inspire creativity, critical thought and design excellence both internally and externally.
- Develop, manage, and grow client accounts and / or strategic projects with responsibility including design quality, technical quality, financial performance, accounts receivable, and overall account health.
- Work collaboratively with Business Center leaders and specifically with the Business Center Healthcare Sector Leader to craft and support the health business plan and strategy, thereby helping to achieve top line growth for the Business Center.
- Work collaboratively with Business Center leadership to set and achieve goals and vision for the Business Center and office. Work collaboratively with the other Business Center Leaders to achieve key operational performance metrics
- Foster collaboration between disciplines, sectors, offices, Business Centers, and other Business Lines while promoting a collaborative culture embodying "We are Better Together".
- Act as a vehicle for the delivery of firm's message on design, quality, safety, community, inclusion, innovation, etc.
Projects and Pursuits:
- Be responsible for account and project health including design quality, technical quality, financial performance, accounts receivable, and overall account health.
- Support Business Development activities, including marketing proposals, interview, conference attendance, etc.
- Evaluate the quality of design and ensure the technical quality meets a high level of quality throughout our work.
- Support development and implementation of the firm's brand, image, marketing collateral and business collateral. Oversee and participate in production of design award submissions, papers, and speaking opportunities.
- Engage staff in dialog on design, ensure design process is followed and influence usage of technological tools.
- Express philosophy of the work with appropriate vocabulary.
- Identify and direct project photography, written descriptions, and other media in support of building the firm's portfolio.
- It is anticipated that the role would be engaged on project work 50-60% of the time, contributing to a minimum of $2m contracts sold after year one, gross revenue annually.
- Establish a culture of design excellence in all our pursuits
People and Administrative:
- Assist in identification, recruiting, and interviewing of design staff at all levels.
- Acts as a mentor, teacher and coach to design staff with the goal of growing and guiding them through their careers.
- Participates in performance reviews including setting of job goals.
- Be an ambassador and steward of the firm's values and portfolio of work with ability to guide and educate others.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Ability to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Be inspiring for those around you.
- To produce design at a level that would be perceived externally as excellent.
- Ability to effectively communicate abstract ideas through strong graphic and verbal communication to the client, their representatives, and the project team.
- Strong presentation and interview skills.
- To not only participate in a project team setting, but to bring out the highest value from all team members through strong engagement and leadership skills.
- To lead several teams simultaneously on large complex projects from the development of a design concept through construction.
- To receive criticism and respond appropriately and professionally.
- Inspire confidence and garner trust and respect with the project team and with clients.
- Provide a balanced approach and good judgement.
- To check work of others for accuracy and completeness and manage team to meet project budget and schedule.
- Scale process, design and effort to various roles on the project, the needs of the project, and other conditions.
- Interpret sketches, drawings, codes, building program and other similar material.
- Ability to empathize strongly with healthcare clients and comprehend problems from their point of view in order to develop solutions that best serve their needs.
- To exhibit maturity and cultural awareness internally and externally.
- Strong working knowledge of the codes and standards that regulate the design of the healthcare environment, including but not limited to the International Building Code, NFPA, and FGI Guidelines
- General knowledge of building construction systems, constructability, materials, and industry associated standards.
- Requires proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, and understanding of production processes in Revit, AutoCAD, Abobe Creative Suite, SketchUp, Newforma, Sefaira, Recent modeling software.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's or Master's degree in Architecture, Interior Design or closely related field & professional registration are required. Minimum of 15 years of experience, with substantive experience leading Healthcare projects.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location: United States-Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Req ID: 1900038A
Back to top