Health & Safety Specialist
Your Opportunity We're active members of the communities we serve. That's why at Stantec, we always design with community in mind.
The Stantec community unites approximately 22,000 employees working in over 400 locations across six continents. Our work-engineering, architecture, interior design, landscape architecture, surveying, environmental sciences, project management, and project economics, from initial project concept and planning through design, construction, and commissioning-begins at the intersection of community, creativity, and client relationships. With a long-term commitment to the people and places we serve, Stantec has the unique ability to connect to projects on a personal level and advance the quality of life in communities across the globe. Stantec trades on the TSX and the NYSE under the symbol STN. Visit us at stantec.com or find us on social media.
Stantec is seeking an individual to support and coordinate the implementation of Stantec's Health, Safety, Security and Environment (HSSE) program on Oil and Gas client projects in Alberta and British Columbia. The position will be based out of our Burnaby, BC offices frequenting client sites up to 80% of the time both in Alberta and British Columbia. Under the direction of the Geographic Health, Safety, Security and Environment Manager (GHSSEM), the Health & Safety Specialist will coordinate the day-to-day operations of the HSSE Program on a variety of client projects form our Oil and Gas business line.
This position is an hourly position with the option of being permanent or contract employee, the working requirements will be based on the request of the project and the client Stantec supports.
Your Duties The HSSE Advisor will provide a full range of HSSE services which may include the following:
- Work with the Project Management Teams and client's personnel to coordinate project HSSE direction
- Coordination of the project HSSE plans
- Work with the Corporate HSSE team and client personnel to develop and implement policies, rules, practices and procedures as required by projects
- Engage in HSSE communication activities through project meeting attendance, the use of newsletters, bulletins, reports, StanNet (Stantec's intranet) and project specific communication platforms
- Develop project specific Health and Safety Plans (HASPs) and training documents/presentations as required
- Advise, coach and mentor project team on the project HSSE plans and Stantec corporate HSSE program and practice.
- Spend meaningful time in the field, promoting HSSE awareness and building HSSE culture on projects
- Complete the subcontractor management program for project needs coordinating and conducting contractor prequalification assessments as required. The use of ISNet may also be required or other client software
- Oversee the HSSE training program for the project, including HSSE site and office orientations, organization of in-house and project HSSE training, and accurate tracking of completions and certifications on the designated platform
- Audit, inspect and verify HSSE standards are in line with project HSSE plans and Stantec Critical Risk Controls. Develop with project leadership, corrective action plans and ensure corrective actions have been implemented.
- Advise and coordinate the purchasing of any safety related equipment and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for the project in conjunction with project budget and purchasing processes.
- Coordinate emergency response for projects, ensuring completion of drills, appropriate training and provisions are in place.
- Participate in, and analyze leading indicators, implement actions based on findings
- Provide HSSE counsel to project management team
- Coordinate and provide HSSE advice and direction to Office Safety and Environment Coordinators (OSECs), as well as operational and office staff on project matters
- Act as the point for communication to the HSSE Manager
- Act as a technical resource for the Project Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC), attending all meetings
- Works with Stantec project leadership to support their efforts around compliance with Stantec's HSSE systems including the HSSE Program Manual and Safe Work Practices, as well as compliance with local legislation
- Where required, assist in planning Regional ISO (International Standards Organization) and OHSAS (Occupational Health and Safety Assessment Specification) audits
- Where required, participate in COR (Certificate of Recognition) audits, following up on a post-audit action plan using the iPlan program as directed by the HSSE manager
- Support the Regional and projects Incident Management System
- Manage incoming incident reports, ensuring follow-up is completed and documented as required
- Communicate statistics within the Region and to the project teams as required
- Conduct investigations as required under the direction of the Geographic HSSE Manager
- Liaise with the Stantec Workers' Compensation Claims Coordinator during injury management as required
- Promote HSSE within the project with a goal of continuous improvement of HSSE culture
- Drive and assist in the development and tracking of project HSSE Key Performance Indicators
- Organize events to promote Health and Safety (may include North American Occupational Safety and Health (NAOSH) week, Steps for Life, Lunch and Learns, etc.)
Your Capabilities and Credentials To succeed in this role you will require:
- 5 years Oil and Gas construction project experience in an HSSE role
- A professional HSSE designation (NCSO, CRSP, CSP, ASP, CHSO etc.)
- Knowledge of British Columbia Occupational Health and Safety legislation
- Knowledge of NEB requirements
- Strong leadership skills and the capability to assess priorities and work independently
- Flexible working hours and the ability to travel within Western Canada when required
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, along with excellent interpersonal and organizational abilities, coupled with an ability to work in a team atmosphere
- Computer proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite of software
Desirable candidates will have:
- A degree or certificate in Occupational Health and Safety or a related field,
- CRSP or CSP
- Experience on projects with capital value of $250million
- Experience in project HSSE document development
- Experience in training and public speaking
- Experience in environmental controls for pipeline projects
A Drug and Alcohol test may be a requirement for this position
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Charuti oversees the construction and design of transmission line projects that connect new and existing hydropower plants and plans the logistics for rehabilitation of existing projects.
Back to top