Geotechnical Engineer, WaterPower and Dams
Build the foundation for a lasting and successful career in geological engineering by starting with a good team. When we say that we're full-service, we mean it. You'll find us in the office, on site and in the lab. We work indoors and out, above and below ground, over and under water, across projects large and small. From field exploration and laboratory testing to the design and construction management of complex geological structures, our team does work that's rock solid. Join our team today!
Stantec is seeking highly qualified applicants to help manage our successful Waterpower and Dams (WP&D) business operations in the US.
Our existing WP&D operation has a multidisciplinary staff that specializes in the planning, design, and construction of WP&D projects including:
- All types of dams
- Conventional hydropower
- Pumped storage hydropower
The position will be located in one of our growing offices in Houston, Texas. The WP&D operation has more than 500 WP&D staff across the United States and is supported by the entire 22,000 staff of Stantec.
The successful candidate for this mid-level technical position will be responsible for working with technical teams, performing technical review and developing geotechnical information, and planning and performing field investigations. The individual will interact internally throughout the organization with staff at all levels as well as externally with clients, members of business and professional organizations, subcontractors, and other firms.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Work in a manner to protect the health and safety of Stantec employees, clients and the public by following company health, safety and security guidelines and policies.
- Work with technical teams, perform and deliver technical work, make technical presentations, plan technical portions of projects, develop technical portions of proposals, and provide technical review of work products.
- Plan and manage tasks and projects to complete them on time and within budget.
- Lead by example with active support of internal policies and practices, including risk management, project management, and quality management.
- Mentor and train junior staff to grow their technical capabilities.
- Promote collaboration and teamwork across business lines and geographies.
Business Development and Marketing
- Work across the multiple business lines within Stantec in support of development of new business opportunities for existing and prospective clients.
- Promote and enhance the Stantec brand through participation in conferences, workshops, presentations, interviews, and other industry-related activities.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Proven project/task experience with performing geotechnical investigations and analyses, construction management, and task/project management for hydropower, dams, levees, and tunnel projects.
- Demonstrated successful experience to support projects using available staff.
- Demonstrated successful experience in client service management, including the ability to interface and build relationships with clients.
- Demonstrated successful experience in leadership of technical team, projects, and change management.
- Supervisory skills
- Civil Engineering degree
- Previous consultative work experience in a construction, design, and mine reclamation environment
Education and Experience
8 - 12 years of relevant experience in the hydropower, dams, and/or tunnels. Bachelor's degree (Master's degree preferred) in geotechnical engineering.
Professional registration (Texas PE preferred; additional CA PE a plus).
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Texas-Houston
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Req ID: 190001RQ
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Jon H.Operations Director
Jon is responsible for growing Stantec in the northwest region of the United Kingdom and leading and guiding the team in this area.
Back to top