Geotechnical Engineer, Power & Dams
- Denver, CO
Join a team that has been partnering with our clients for more than 100 years to improve the quality of life around the world. When it comes to hydropower, dams, locks and navigation projects, we design with the next generation in mind. We operate with the strength of a $3B company paired with the agility of a specialized power and dams group, to deliver some of the most iconic and cutting edge projects around the world. This proud legacy has fostered a culture of innovation and safety, leading our team to design the world's most impactful waterpower and dam projects - projects vital to both local and global communities.
We are looking to add a full-time geotechnical/geological engineer to the Power and Dams group. If working on the most challenging water and natural resources projects around the world, building on your talents through a premier knowledge-sharing culture, and connecting across borders with some of the world's top talent appeals to you, join us.
The successful candidate will work on challenging and diverse tasks for dams and hydroelectric projects, conveyance tunnels, and water resource projects for a variety of domestic and international clients. The successful candidate will be working in conjunction with other engineers and geologists on multi-discipline teams to support project activities through the application of engineering and geologic principles and techniques. The successful candidate should be able to work independently and with small and large teams to apply critical thinking skills to solve technical issues and develop project-specific solutions. The position will require travel to project sites and will provide stimulating career growth opportunities.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Follow safe work practices and adhere to company guidelines for planning and executing work in a safe manner.
- Work in conjunction with engineers, geologists, and scientists to solve project challenges, performing design calculations as required.
- Lead and mentor younger staff and run projects and tasks with the assistance of 1 to 10 engineers or geologists.
- Conduct field inspections; observe and participate in field exploration and testing programs; and perform site characterizations and evaluate geotechnical hazards under the supervision of more senior engineers/geologists.
- Assess subsurface conditions, including soil and rock properties and geomechanical conditions, including review and interpretation of field maps, field logs, test data, and other field documentation. Develop parameters for use in technical analyses.
- Select criteria for planning, design, and construction of dams, tunnels, caverns, foundations, slopes, and earth-retaining structures.
- Assist with feasibility studies by conducting research to assess challenges and develop solutions.
- Conduct numerical analysis using programs such as DIPS, UNWEDGE, SWEDGE, UDEC, FLAC, Plaxis, Phase2, SEEP/W and SLOPE/W under the supervision of others.
- Develop familiarity with regulatory agency requirements, technical design standards, and industry standards and guidelines.
- Prepare technical reports including geotechnical data reports, geotechnical baseline reports, field reports, technical memoranda, computation packages, feasibility reports, design and evaluation reports, construction drawings, and specifications.
- Provide field engineering oversight for projects during construction.
- Develop design drawings and specifications for various levels of design (e.g. 30%, 60%, 90%, 100% design).
- Construction QA/QC and engineering services during construction.
- Participate in professional development and training activities.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Working knowledge of the principles of civil/geotechnical or geological engineering.
- Willing and able to travel, both nationally and internationally, to conduct field investigation or construction quality oversight type work.
- Some exposure to or knowledge of numerical modeling and finite element analysis, and computer aided design drafting.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint software.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Sound organizational, technical, written, and oral communication skills with attention to detail.
Education and Experience
- 6 to 15 yrs work experience in geotechnical or geological engineering, dams experience a plus.
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil, Geotechnical, or Geological Engineering from an accredited university. Master's degree strongly preferred.
- EIT required, Professional engineer license preferred.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Colorado-Denver
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 200001DQ
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans
Back to top