Build the foundation for a lasting and successful career in geotechnical engineering by starting with a great team. When we say that we're full-service, we mean it. You'll find us in the office, on site and in the lab. We work indoors and out, above and below ground, over and under water, across projects large and small. From field exploration and laboratory testing to the design and construction management of complex geotechnical structures, our team does work that's rock solid. Join our team today!
Stantec's Geotechnical practice has an immediate opportunity for a Geotechnical Engineer in Houston, Texas. You will provide comprehensive geotechnical services to Stantec clients from field explorations to the design and construction management of complex geotechnical structures. You will provide specialized services such as the analysis and design of foundation elements, dam and levee structures, and remediation design.
As team member under the guidance of a Senior/Chief Engineer, you will work on challenging and diverse geotechnical engineering tasks in support of crucial infrastructure projects for flood risk management and water supply (i.e, dams, levees, walls, and pump stations) that may include calculations/analyses, field work, task coordination, technical reporting, and client meetings. The successful candidate will be working in conjunction with other engineers and scientists on multi-discipline teams to support project activities through the application of engineering and geologic principles and techniques. The successful candidate should be able to work independently and with small and large teams to apply critical thinking skills to solve technical issues and develop project-specific solutions. The position will require travel to project sites and will provide stimulating career growth opportunities.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Follow safe work practices and adhere to company guidelines for planning and executing work in a safe manner.
- Work in conjunction with multi-discipline teams of engineers, geologists, and scientists to solve project challenges, performing design calculations as required.
- Lead and mentor younger staff and run projects and tasks with the assistance of 1 to 10 engineers or geologists.
- Assist with feasibility studies by conducting research to assess challenges and develop solutions.
- Conduct field inspections; observe and participate in field exploration and testing programs; and perform site characterizations and evaluate geotechnical hazards under the supervision of more senior engineers/geologists.
- Select criteria for planning, design, and construction of dams, levees, foundations, slopes, and retaining structures.
- Assess subsurface conditions, including soil and rock properties, including review and interpretation of field maps, field logs, test data, and other field documentation.
- Evaluate field and laboratory test data and develop parameters for use in technical analyses.
- Conduct geotechnical analyses using programs such as UNWEDGE, SWEDGE, UDEC, FLAC, Plaxis, and Geostudio (SEEP/W and SLOPE/W).
- Develop familiarity with regulatory agency requirements, technical design standards, and industry standards and guidelines.
- Prepare technical reports including geotechnical data reports, geotechnical baseline reports, field reports, technical memoranda, computation packages, feasibility reports, design and evaluation reports, construction drawings, and specifications.
- Provide field engineering oversight for projects during construction.
- Participate in professional development and training activities
- Assist in supporting the civil team in providing support services during construction that can include submittal reviews, responses to requests for information and contract document clarifications.
- Maintain consistently high standards of delivery, quality, flexibility, and innovation.
- Enhance the reputation of Stantec through preparation and presentation of papers at professional society conferences and seminars.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Working knowledge of the principles of civil/geotechnical or geological engineering.
- Willing and able to travel to conduct field investigation or construction quality oversight type work.
- Basic experience in and familiarity with AutoCAD Civil3D, Geostudio, and gINT with some exposure to or knowledge of numerical modeling and finite element analysis preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Sound organizational, technical, written, and oral communication skills with attention to detail.
- An understanding of geotechnical engineering concepts and analysis methods.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Ability to interpret sketches, engineering drawings, and other similar material.
Education and Experience
6 to 15 years work experience in geotechnical or geological engineering, dams and/or levees experience a plus.
Bachelor's Degree in Civil, Geotechnical, or Geological Engineering from an accredited university, Master's Degree preferred.
Professional Engineer license required.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Texas-Houston
Other Locations: United States-Texas-San Antonio, United States-Texas-Dallas, United States-Texas-Austin
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Manager
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 190002PZ
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Jon H.Operations Director
Jon is responsible for growing Stantec in the northwest region of the United Kingdom and leading and guiding the team in this area.
Back to top