The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future-join us!
Stantec's team of Plan Reviewers, Inspectors, and Building Code experts have opportunities to work on some of the most exciting and unique projects locally and globally. Working alongside world-class design studios and engineering teams, we ensure buildings are sustainable, functional, and safe. Our teams work on a vast portfolio of projects including sports arenas, museums, libraries, mines, water treatment plants, and any other facility you can imagine. Partnering with registrants, jurisdictions, and tribal communities in Arizona and throughout the US West, we ensure their buildings are safe for the people and communities they serve.
Join an inspirational and cohesive team of professionals with supportive leadership who are driven to succeed. Our continued success has enabled our practice to grow, which, in turn, offers our employees excellent opportunities to cultivate their own careers within the organization. We value a healthy work-life balance and offer flexible work arrangements, including part-time schedules and telecommuting. We also offer competitive, flexible benefit plans, compensation programs, and learning opportunities to help you continue your personal and professional growth through a variety of formal and informal methods, including internal training courses, eLearning, attendance at conferences/seminars and events, professional memberships, coaching and mentoring programs, and on-the-job learning.
We are currently looking for a motivated individual who can work independently performing inspections of residential and commercial fire protection systems to ensure compliance with applicable fire codes and annual requirements. You would also perform inspections for special events and conduct fire scene investigations.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Conduct annual fire code inspections of large and complex occupancies.
- Research occupancy files for inspection/fire history, national standards, and International Fire and building Codes to ensure compliance with city, state, and federal codes, standards and ordinances.
- Conduct initial inspections of residential and commercial fire protection systems (new and modified).
- Verify field compliance with approved plans.
- Issue necessary permits.
- Conduct re-inspections, final inspections, and operations acceptance testing.
- Conduct plan review, as required, for fire protection systems.
- Conduct inspections within established department policies.
- Responsible for scheduling annual inspections on commercial fire protection systems.
- Conduct training sessions to agency personnel and identify proposed inspection procedure modifications.
- Respond to field inspection situations when requested.
- Assist citizens, general contractors, fire protection contractors, and other agency personnel with code interpretations and information.
- Prepare written inspection documents and create forms and checklists addressing significant issues for use by agency personnel.
- Assist and instruct junior Fire Inspectors and Volunteer Fire Inspectors in code applications, interpretations and office procedures.
- Conduct inspections of special events and fire scene investigations.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Read and interpret code related requirements in documents such as City codes, ordinances adopted fire codes and standards, reports, plans and other documents.
- Perform math calculations such as additional subtraction, multiplication, division, algebra, fire flow, fire protection systems, plans, review occupancy load and egress locations determined by calculations and formulas including equations, geometry, algebra, powers, and volume measurements and hydraulic calculations.
- Write clearly organized documents.
- Develop policies and procedures of plan review and other functions.
- Communicate the process plan submittal or review to design professionals. Advanced technical writing skills necessary for code related communications.
- Follow established standard operation procedures and/or policies.
- Negotiate sensitive issues or important presentations.
- Manage stressful, negative interactions with high levels of tact and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Valid driver's license.
Education and Experience
High school diploma, a minimum three (3) years of fire inspection experience and ICC Fire Inspector II certification.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Building Technologist/Technician
Primary Location: United States-Arizona-Chandler
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 100 % of the Time
Req ID: 190001F8
Back to top