- Edmonton, Canada
As energy availability becomes increasingly critical, there's no end to the scope and significance of your work - and to where it can take you at Stantec. Every day, we're problem-solving and collaborating on projects that are as challenging as they are impactful. Whether designing a transformational cross-country pipeline, optimizing facilities, verifying the safety and reliability of an asset, or in the field overseeing construction projects, you'll be joining a team of recognized industry experts on work that's critical to our clients and our communities. The Oil & Gas industry is changing - and we're helping clients stay ahead of the change. Join a team that's working together with industry to deliver innovation for the long term on some of the most important and interesting projects around the world.
Reporting to the Construction Manager (CM), the Technical Coordinator/Field Engineer will be onsite in support of the Senior Construction Coordinator/Chief Inspector and will be assigned delegated responsibilities. Technical interface for field queries will be a key role of the Technical Coordinator/Field Engineer to facilitate timely responses to the construction crews. The Field Engineer will be accountable for the detailed monitoring of field technical issues, including survey and as-building, RFIs from the contractor, scope changes, technical assistance to the inspection and contractor personnel, overall successful project execution and client satisfaction on the project.
We are looking to fill this position for opportunities in Alberta, Saskatchewan, British Columbia, and Ontario.
Ideal candidates will have a background in mechanical, civil, and geotechnical engineering.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Participate in contractor meetings (tool box talks, weekly safety meetings, site safety inspections, etc.).
- Observe and abide by all site safety rules, assist to promote and support a strong safety culture.
- Support and comply with Stantec's Quality Management Nine Point Framework and the Oil and Gas Project Management Framework.
- Review and understand contracts, pricing, terms and conditions, special conditions and any qualifications that are part of the project.
- Provide support to the Construction Management Team (CMT) on contractual issues. Assist CM to ensure change orders are issued and approved in a timely manner.
- Coordinate construction support engineering visits. Organize compliance to design inspections with engineering as construction progresses.
- Audit contractor reports to ensure they are submitted timely, accurately and complete.
- Responsible for the on-site management of the Request for Information (RFI) process. Receive RFI and distribute to responsible persons for disposition. Ensure responses are received and communicated in an agreed time frame.
- Responsible for document control on site.
- Review all drawings and assess whether the design is applicable to the actual conditions encountered in the field. Should the field conditions encountered differ from those assumed in the design, the Technical Coordinator must quantify the changed conditions and make recommendations on design changes, through the Senior Construction Coordinator, to the Project Engineer (PE).
- Assume responsibility for the assembly of all required as built information.
- Participate in bi-weekly meeting with contractors and field staff to validate schedule progress.
- Assist with management and maintenance of quality plan for the project.
- Review contractor Inspection Test Plans (ITPs) for technical validation, assist and support senior construction coordinator on sign off items.
- Become familiar with project specifications, drawings and contracts.
- Provide technical interpretation on field issues, changes, etc.
- Expedite, through the PE, the issue of all design changes which must be made by the Project Design Group Prime contact as engineering liaison regarding missing technical information, drawing issues and vendor information.
- Support Senior Construction Coordinator in managing site conflicts, proposing path forward to contractor inquiries, coordinating schedules and to issuing weekly progress update to CM.
- Act as fill in for Senior Construction Coordinator, in his/her absence. Document construction progress, including photographs and file accordingly.
- Compile and assist in the monitoring and receipt of contractor scope punch list items.
- Observe the work as it progresses for technical compliance to the drawings.
- Completing and submitting OEM supplied equipment repair advises.
- Ordering material as needed to complete the project.
- Visually inspecting materials for the project.
- Coordinating the arrival of all material to site.
- Coordinating the return of extra materials to the warehouse after project completion.
- Coordinating the exchange of material between Owner construction sites.
- Keeping accurate records of material quantities.
- Responding to Contractor's requests for material as needed and purchasing materials missed or damaged.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- API 1169 Pipeline Construction Inspector Certification required for all pipeline positions, this is not a requirement when working on pumping stations or terminals.
- Excellent organizational, planning and implementing skills.
- Strong presentation, written, and verbal communication skills with the ability to clearly convey information to a variety of audiences.
- Ability to solve complex problems using sound professional judgment, creativity and innovation.
- Able to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Advanced skills in use of Microsoft (MS) Office Suite.
Education and Experience
- University degree in Mechanical or Civil Engineering or a Technical diploma applicable to pipelines.
- P. Eng. Professional Designation preferred.
- 3 - 5 years experience working with construction in the field.
- Position will work in office and field setting.
- Visits construction sites and works in outside weather conditions.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Mechanical Engineer
Primary Location: Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 200000AM
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans
Back to top