Environmental Technician / Technologist / Scientist - Hazmat and Industrial Hygiene
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
In this role you will provides services associated with occupational health and
safety-related work, including indoor air quality, hazardous materials and
mould consulting initiatives. Our team works on behalf of our clients to
implement and coordinate repair, replacement and abatement projects, often
working with our other Environmental Services and Buildings Engineering groups
to support required remediation and design activities. Working closely with our
clients, our dedicated professionals help to establish and understand the
specific needs of our clients and tailor our technical solutions in alignment
with their specific business and project objectives. Clients across all sectors
including commercial real estate, K-12 education, higher education, healthcare,
and all levels of government have partnered with us to provide assessments for
the purposes of re-financing, acquisition/disposition and capital planning.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Understandingthe application of occupational health and safety principles andregulations, especially as they relate to hazardous materials and industrialhygiene
- Planningand conducting site assessments for hazardous materials including (but notlimited to) asbestos, mould, lead, PCBs, ODSs, mercury and silica.
- Collectingsamples pertaining to the above for accurate logging on chain of custodydocuments and submission to independent laboratories for analysis.
- Estimatingquantities of hazardous materials for the purposes of abatement projectplanning.
- Conductingindoor air quality assessments and testing.
- Conductingindustrial hygiene assessments and testing.
- Conductingsite work associated with monitoring of hazardous materials abatementprojects (e.g. asbestos, mould, lead), including on-site observation ofcontractor activities and collection of applicable air samples.
- Assistingwith the operation and calibration of air quality testing equipment
- Preparingdetailed technical reports.
- Assistingwith the preparation of proposals for the above-noted types of projects.
- Eveningand weekend work may be required.
- Frequenttravel within Canada (primarily Western Canada) and potentially the U.S. willbe required.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Generalknowledge of buildings, building systems and building construction.
- Generalknowledge and experience with occupational hygiene testing/samplingprotocols.
- Strongverbal and written communication skills, including exceptional MS Officeskills.
- Strongnote-taking skills and attention to detail.
- Abilityto work on your own initiative as well as in a team environment iscrucial.
- Oneto two years' experience would be considered an asset.
- Experienceor knowledge pertaining to occupational/industrial hygiene, occupationalhealth & safety regulations and/or the hazardous materials abatementindustry would be an asset.
- Avalid driver's license and vehicle is required.
Education and Experience
Post-secondarytraining, course work, diploma or degree pertaining to environmentaltechnology, building sciences, occupational health and safety and/oroccupational/industrial hygiene.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Environmental Technician/Technologist
Primary Location: Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby
Job Level: Entry Level
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 1900025L
Back to top