Environmental Technician - Indoor Environment
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Our Indoor Environments group provides services associated with hazardous materials, mold, indoor air quality and industrial hygiene initiatives. In addition, our team works on behalf of our clients to implement and coordinate the proposed repair, replacement and abatement projects, often working with other Buildings Engineering groups to support required design activities. Working closely with our clients, our dedicated professionals help to establish and understand the specific needs of our clients and tailor our technical solutions in alignment with their specific business and project objectives. Clients across all sectors including commercial real estate, K-12 education, higher education, healthcare, and all levels of government have partnered with us to provide assessments for the purposes of re-financing, acquisition/disposition and capital planning.
We are currently seeking an Indoor Environment Technician for our Markham or Ottawa office. The successful candidate will be part of Indoor Environments Team, and under the direction of a Team Leader and will be responsible to manage assessment and abatement monitoring projects, related to hazardous materials, mould, indoor air quality, industrial hygiene projects, including the review of technical reports. The individual must be capable of working independently.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Reporting to the Team Leader your responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Understanding the application of occupational health and safety principles and regulations, especially as they relate to hazardous materials and industrial hygiene
- Planning and conducting site assessments for hazardous materials including (but not limited to asbestos, mould, lead, PCBs, and mercury.
- Collecting samples pertaining to the above for accurate logging on chain of custody documents and submission to independent laboratories for analysis
- Estimating quantities of hazardous materials for the purposes of abatement project planning
- Conducting indoor air quality assessments and testing.
- Conducting industrial hygiene assessments and testing.
- Conducting site work associated with monitoring of hazardous materials abatement projects (e.g. asbestos, mould), including on-site supervision of contractors and collection of applicable air samples.
- Liaising with and directing contractors and coordinating field activities
- Preparing various reports, technical specifications, and proposals for indoor environmental projects.
- Evening and weekend work will be required.
- Occasional travel may be required.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- General knowledge of buildings and building construction, as well as testing/sampling protocols.
- Knowledge pertaining to occupational/industrial hygiene, occupational health & safety regulations and/or the hazardous materials abatement industry will be given preference.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including exceptional MS Office skills.
- Strong note-taking skill and attention to detail
- Ability to work on your own initiative as well as in a team environment is crucial.
Education and Experience
Post-secondary training, diploma or degree pertaining to environmental technology, building sciences, occupational/industrial hygiene or equivalent.
Minimum 1-2 years' experience in hazardous materials and indoor environment field.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Environmental Technician/Technologist
Primary Location: Canada-Ontario-Markham
Other Locations: Canada-Ontario-Ottawa
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Entry Level
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Req ID: 190002Z0
Back to top