Environmental Scientist/Ecologist - ( 210000A3 )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. You could say we know a little something about the environment. Our passion for it drives our work. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. We know what it takes to balance competing project interests with creativity and efficiency. We know what to look for and we know how to get the job done-the right way. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec's gulf coast environmental services group is seeking a mid-level Environmental Scientist/Ecologist to lead environmental field surveys, reporting, and permitting support for our clients in the renewable energy, electric transmission, pipeline, transportation, and other business sector. The selected candidate will assist our team of environmental professionals on environmental impact analsis, wetland, stream, and vegetation assessments/monitoring, and endangered species surveys in Texas and across the gulf coast.
As an Environmental Scientist/Ecologist, you will work in a highly dynamic team environment with other biologists/ecologists/water resource specialists, ecosystem restoration engineers, NEPA specialists, environmental planners, and regulatory experts. This position will include opportunities for both field and office work; it may also involve extensive travel and several days in the field and away from home.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Vegetation inventories/monitoring
- Wetland and stream delineation and assessment.
- Wildlife surveys and habitat assessments;
- Aquatic assessments (lake and stream);
- Background data reviews;
- Environmental permit applications;
- Endangered resource record reviews;
- GPS data collection and mapping support;
- ArcGIS online mapping and data collection applications;
- Record, enter, organize, manage, and analyze data; and
- Assist with and prepare portions of written reports, tables, spreadsheets, databases, and maps for client and regulatory agency review.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- An interest in ecosystems, natural resource conservation, and the outdoors is essential.
- The ability to solve problems using critical thinking and to complete tasks with consideration totheir own and the team's safety is important.
- A positive attitude in all working conditions is key.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including exceptional MS Office skills.
- Strong note-taking skills and attention to detail.
- Experienced at working well in a team atmosphere and independently as required.
- Working understanding of policies and procedures for HSSE, including client-specific training (as required).
- Must have the willingness to learn new skills while conducting field work.
- Conscientious, organized, and disciplined.
- Builds and maintains productive professional and personal networking relationships within their technical team and Business Center.
- Good driving record and valid driver's license required.
- willingness to travel and conduct field wrok in potentially remote areas for extended periods (up to 50% of the time) including overnight travel is espected for this position. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
- Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
Education and Experience
The ideal candidate will have at minimum, a bachelor's degree in an environmental discipline (biology, ecology, natural resources, soil science or related natural resources field) with demonstrated experience with biological surveys in the region.
Experience of 5 years is desired, with experience leading field teams in natural resource inventories and surveys.
Must be comfortable with computers and Trimble hand-held GPS units or other similar GPS based survey equipment. Technical writing skills are necessary for this position.
COVID-19 is having a big impact on the way we live and work. Stantec's Health, Safety, Security, and Environment team has created a series of special COVID-19 guidelines and best practices to help keep you, your clients, and the communities you serve safe and healthy during the coronavirus pandemic. Your local leader will work with you to determine the timing and manner of working from the office or from home.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : United States-Texas-Houston
Job : Environmental Scientist
Organization : BC-2256 Environmental Services-US Gulf
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 50 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Sep 17, 2021, 12:51:49 PM
Req ID: 210000A3
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans