Environmental Scientist - Transportation
Your Opportunity: Stantec is one of the largest employers of full-time, experienced environmental professionals in the eastern United States. Our current staff includes specialists in wetland science, wildlife biology, soil science, fisheries biology, botany, hydrology, forestry, habitat restoration, marine biology, environmental permitting, GIS and surveying. Our Environmental Services group is dedicated to managing environmental issues proactively and professionally. We focus on hiring exceptionally talented, enthusiastic, and hard-working individuals that have a keen interest in the natural sciences and a commitment to working in a team-based environment.
With experienced and talented staff, Stantec's South Carolina offices are experiencing rapid growth. We are looking for a mid-level Environmental Scientist to join our North Charleston, SC office to help fuel that growth by providing environmental support for clients in the transportation, electric transmission, and other business sectors for projects in the Southeastern US. Clients, include the South Carolina Department of Transportation, local City and County Governments, and others.
The Charleston area offers attractive neighborhoods with a variety of cultural and recreational venues in one of the most desirable locations in the country.
- Coordinate with various team partners including clients, regulatory/resource agencies, local governments
- Assist with technical studies and ecological resource assessments such as wetland delineations, habitat assessments, rare species and wildlife investigations, and other natural resource surveys.
- Prepare state and federal wetland permit applications.
- Conduct environmental permit compliance reviews of active construction projects, documenting construction activities and compliance with permit conditions and other project environmental commitments, and advising on implementation of erosion controls and appropriate construction sequencing.
- Assist in the preparation of NEPA documentation including environmental impact statements (EISs), Environmental Assessments (EAs), Categorical Exclusions (CEs)
- Perform research, conduct environmental analyses (field and desktop), develop recommendations, and assist in the preparation of technical reports under NEPA.
- Provide quality assurance and quality control for all final products to ensure technical accurateness and regulatory compliance.
- Prepare proposals and cost estimates for clients, and support other business development activities conducted in the region.
Your Capabilities and Credentials:
- Bachelor's degree in science or engineering.
- Minimum of 3-7 years of professional consulting experience demonstrating progressive responsibility.
- Technical skills and education in soil science, botany, ecology, and wetland science.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience delineating wetlands in SC and/or elsewhere in the Southeast. This position will require travel.
- Experience with SC permitting, NEPA document preparation, and State/Federal/Local permitting.
- Interest in assisting in business development for transportation or other projects in the southeast region.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience providing environmental services to the transportation sector, with experience conducting environmental compliance inspections on active construction projects.
- Experience leading project teams to successful completion.
- Strong technical writing and speaking skills.
- Strong work ethic, positive attitude, and desire for team success.
- Master's degree or other professional degree specializing in science or engineering preferred.
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Charuti oversees the construction and design of transmission line projects that connect new and existing hydropower plants and plans the logistics for rehabilitation of existing projects.
Back to top