Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
The role of the Environmental Scientist is to perform tasks and project management assignments associated with environmental assessments, hydrogeological studies, subsurface investigations, remediation, and monitoring projects; sampling of soil, sediment, surface water, and groundwater; oversight of subcontractors; production of maps; data interpretation/evaluation and deliverable preparation.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Appliestechnical and business knowledge and methods to develop creative,effective, and economical solutions to address current and potentialproject issues
- Experiencedrafting CERCLA Related documents such as Feasibility Studies ProposedPlans, Record of Decisions, and Five Year Reviews.
- Fieldwork responsibilities may include GPS surveys, wetland assessments, andnatural community mapping; performing and leading project technical work; preparingreports; preparing environmental permitting to conduct and/or lead fieldwork: and, groundwater sampling, drilling, soil logging, samplecollection, and construction oversight
- Preparingproject deliverables including Phase I and II Environmental SiteAssessments, quarterly progress reports, work plans, sampling and analysisplans, in whole or in part, depending on the size and complexity of thedocument
- Draftingtechnical reports including data entry/validation, figure preparation, andQA/QC
- Developingtables and figures using analytical data and topographic/site maps
- EnsuringQA/QC and H&S requirements and procedures are identified and followedthroughout a project's life cycle
- Responsiblefor coordinating with subcontractors (such as analytical laboratories,private locators, and drillers) while performing office assignments
- Experiencewith construction oversight, remediation system operation and maintenanceactivities a plus, but not required
- Environmentalregulatory and permitting responsibilities include identifyingproject-specific environmental regulatory requirements, coordinating withresource agency personnel, writing and reviewing technical reports,developing environmental permit applications, presenting at publicmeetings, and facilitating successful environmental permitting of multipleand varied projects
- Demonstratessound application of established practices, standards and guidelines
- Performingtask management for sites undergoing assessment and/or active remediation
- Mayreview work of junior staff
- Workwill be conducted under the supervision of a project manager toparticipate in proposal preparation (work scope, task-level budgeting,cost estimates), may perform calculations, gather or review information,or prepare standard sections of proposals
- Otherduties as assigned
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Proficientin policies and procedures for HSSE, including client-specific training,leads by example, and applies these policies and procedures as appropriateto their work
- Solidskills in technical writing
- Observingand developing skills in communications and technical information exchangewith clients, engineers and scientists, government regulators andagencies, and academia, as well as non-technical communication to thepublic
- Ableto build strong relationships with key clients with respect to theirtechnical area and the broader business objectives in their regions
- Buildsand maintains productive professional and personal networkingrelationships
- Drivescollaborative efforts within the Business Center and beyond to deliverconsistent, high quality and appropriately scoped technical work
- Gooddriving record and valid driver's license required
- Atleast two years of experience successfully executing technical aspects ofsmall to medium projects
- CERCLAexperience preferred
- OSHA40-hour HAZWOPER training preferred
- Abilityto travel for extended field work
- Experiencein routine groundwater and soil sampling procedures
- Positionrequires strict adherence to health and safety procedures, attention todetail, good work ethic, and a passion for high quality workmanship
- Candidatemust have excellent communication and organizational skills, combined withthe ability and flexibility to work in a dynamic, challenging and fastpaced environment
- Mustpass Department of Defense background check for base access
- Priorto employment with Stantec a successful passing of a physical anddrug/alcohol screen will be required
Education and Experience
A BS in Geology, Engineering, Environmental Sciences or related Earth Sciences. Licensed Professional Engineer/Geologist.
Minimum 5-7 years related experience, or an equivalent combination of education (e.g., advanced degree) and experience.
Majority of time spent in office environment with prolonged sitting and computer work, or combination of office and field.
Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location: United States-Alaska-Anchorage
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Req ID: 190002OX
Back to top