Environmental Scientist and Regulatory Specialist
- Rochester, NY
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec seeks a Mid-level Environmental Scientist and Regulatory Specialist with experience in environmental project permitting for NYS electric transmission or generation (including renewables) projects to join our New York Environmental Services team. Successful environmental scientists at Stantec have opportunities for professional development, are often tasked with learning new skills, and work on a variety of interesting and challenging projects. Stantec has a small company feel that provides local services yet has offices worldwide and thus provides the opportunity for travel and expanding personal horizons.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Preparation of a wide range of reports involving environmental regulatory compliance and environmental impact analysis
- Environmental Permitting/SEQR: Support preparation and development of NYSDEC/USACE Joint Permit Applications, including SEQR Compliance (Environmental Assessment Forms and Environmental Impact Statements); familiarity with NYSPSC Article VII, Part 102 and Article 10 preferred but not required
- SWPPP/Environmental Inspections: Conducting construction and post construction environmental inspection and monitoring to verify compliance with Stormwater and other environmental permit conditions
- Wetland Delineations and Field Surveys: Participating in both large- and small-scale wetland delineations, natural community mapping, rare, threatened, and endangered species surveys, function and value assessments, environmental permitting, post construction monitoring, and wetland mitigation/restoration
- Regularly travel throughout Upstate New York and potentially the North-East and Mid-Atlantic Regions
- Work with multidisciplinary natural resources staff and be responsible for the safety and well-being of other field staff and perform tasks required for fieldwork such as workflow planning, scheduling, data collection and dissemination, reporting, and communication with project management, clients and regulators
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Skill in NYS SWPPP Permit compliance, including knowledge with MS4 requirements
- Effective technical writing and verbal communication skills
- Endangered species, Fish and Wildlife Studies and invasive species experience
- In addition to technical wetland delineation skills, selected candidates are expected to have proven communication and leadership skills, high ethical and moral standards, an excellent attitude, and high physical and mental stamina
- Candidates must have outstanding organization, planning, and problem-solving skills
- Candidates must be willing and able to spend long days on foot over uneven, remote terrain in inclement weather
- Selected candidates are expected to maintain a positive attitude, particularly in challenging environments and harsh conditions
- Mechanical skills, experience driving/navigating in remote locations, and previous experience with GPS and mobile technologies are required
- Prior experience and proficiency with GIS required
- Must have a high attention to detail
- Skill in Microsoft Office software suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
- Ability to traverse 2-4 miles per day in rough terrain and lift up to 50 lbs
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
Education and Experience
The selected candidate will have at least 4 years of environmental experience, including field experience delineating wetlands according to the Corps of Engineers Wetlands Delineation Manual and the Regional Supplement to the Corps of Engineers and EPA Wetland Delineation Manual and the Regional Supplements in New York State.
A Bachelor's degree (Master's degree preferred) in an environmental discipline and knowledge of soils, vegetation, and hydrology is required.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Environmental Scientist
Primary Location: United States-New York-Tonawanda
Other Locations: United States-New York-Rochester, United States-New York-New York
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Req ID: 200001QD
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans
Back to top