Environmental Project Manager - Renewable Energy
- Charlottesville, VA
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
We pride ourselves on being recognized for providing some of the best environmental services to the North American renewable energy industry. With decades of experience, Stantec offers a wealth of technical knowledge and a strong understanding of federal, state, and local regulations. From planning and siting to operation and maintenance, Stantec' offers a one-stop show to bring renewable projects from concept to completion.
Our Environmental Services team is seeking an Environmental Project Manager with demonstrated experience within the renewable energy sector. Joining Stantec's North American network of over 1,400 environmental services professionals, with over 25 years providing environmental services to renewable energy clients, in over 100 office locations in the US, you will be an integral part of our team, supervising and mentoring staff while working collaboratively to support business development opportunities. Does working with renewable energy clients on great projects, with a talented team while managing project deliverables appeal to you? Apply today!
Your Key Responsibilities
- Environmental regulatory and permitting responsibilities include:
- Identifying project-specific environmental regulatory requirements,
- Coordinate the Solar Permit by Rule process in the State of Virginia, including the completion of all required studies and reports as well as the preparation of the final submittal to the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality.
- Coordinate the preparation, review, and editing of technical documents, such as environmental assessments, environmental impact statements, and other and technical reports.
- Writing and reviewing technical reports
- Supporting Public Outreach in support of solar projects, including developing graphic representations and project literature as well as coordinating mass mailings of information to adjacent landowners.
- Attendance at Public Meetings in support of the project which may include presentations on the status of environmental studies and permit acquisition including Permit by Rule.
- Developing environmental permit applications.
- Project management responsibilities may include:
- Developing proposals.
- Managing projects and budgets.
- On-boarding and managing sub-consultants.
- Coordinating with clients, maintaining relationships with stakeholders, and internal project staff.
- Performing and overseeing and reviewing project technical work.
- Additional responsibilities may include:
- Coordinating, conducting, and/or leading field work.
- Ensure QA/QC and H&S requirements and procedures are identified and followed throughout a project's life cycle.
- Provide staff mentorship and training.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Demonstrated experience with local, state, and federal environmental regulations, licensing, and permitting
- Experience within renewable energy or power utilities such as electric and gas transmission and distribution.
- Demonstrated business development experience and strong existing client relationships.
- Experience with the National Environmental Policy Act, State Environmental Quality Reviews, surface water classifications, stream bed and bank protection and restoration, erosion control, SWPPPs, and flood plain evaluations.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems using critical thinking and practical problem solving, complete field work with consideration to their own and the team's safety, and a good sense of direction.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule as this work requires coordinating with clients located in different time zones and periodic attendance at evening meetings to facilitate local permitting.
- Successful experience writing and responding to RFP's and RFQ's.
- Experience managing junior staff, client relationships and complex projects.
- Ability to lead one or more teams through all phases of project document production.
- Efficient project management of multiple concurrent projects.
- 'One team' approach methodologies' for delivery of projects and collaboration with others provides excellent opportunities for professional growth and learning.
- Builds and maintains productive professional and personal networking relationships.
- Experience driving/navigating in remote locations, and previous experience with GPS and mobile technologies are required.
- A valid driver's license and satisfactory driving record are required.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Environmental Science, Planning, Engineering, or related field
- Minimum 7 years related experience, or an equivalent combination of education (e.g., advanced degree) and experience
- Project and task management experience is preferred
The role requires a mix of jobsite and office functions and travel will be required. Time spent in the office environment will include prolonged sitting and computer work. Time spent in the jobsite environment will involve standing and walking for long periods of time, walking on uneven surfaces in remote terrain and exposure to wildlife and inclement weather. Must be able to lift, move, and carry up to 50 lbs. on a repeated basis throughout the work shift
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Environmental Scientist
Primary Location: United States-Virginia-Williamsburg
Other Locations: United States-Virginia-Richmond, United States-Virginia-Charlottesville
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 200001DM
Back to top