Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
The Stantec Yellowknife office has a vibrant and dynamic environment with excellent opportunities for professional growth. The northern team is looking for an energetic and experienced Environmental Planner to join the Environmental Services team in the Yellowknife, Northwest Territories Office. With a collaborative and multidisciplinary team already in place, we are looking for the right individual with experience in Northern ecosystems to round out our team.
Yellowknife is the capital of the Northwest Territories and is a remarkably cosmopolitan city of roughly 20,000, filled with well-educated families and professionals. It is the commercial hub for projects and communities across the NWT and the wilderness is just steps from our downtown office. In Yellowknife, northern traditions mix with the everyday lifestyles of modern Canadians from all cultures and backgrounds. The result is a unique sense of place that both welcomes newcomers and embraces new ideas.
Up here work-life balance truly exists. Whether you're interested in an adventure filled with fishing, skiing, hiking and snowmobiling, or just looking to live in a beautiful, small urban center, Yellowknife could be the place for you. Build your career AND enjoy your life!
Your Key Responsibilities
- Leading and assisting with environmental assessment and permitting assignments in Northwest Territories, Nunavut or Yukon;
- Conducting field work, analyzing data and preparing reports;
- Seeking out and developing relationships with clients;
- Managing proposals and projects from inception to completion;
- Defining project objectives, scope, schedule, and budget during proposal development;
- Collaborating with Stantec colleagues in project delivery;
- Develop a working understanding of Stantec's other consulting practice areas and actively support cross-selling other services to existing clients; and
- Advancing technical competence in professional practice.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Knowledge of territorial and federal environmental legislation applicable in the three northern Territories;
- Experience in or a solid understanding of the consulting industry in a multidisciplinary environment;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Passion for the North and the Northern Canadian experience; and
- A valid driver's license is required.
Education and Experience
Bachelors and/or master's degree in environmental sciences (e.g. biology, geography, environmental studies);
Minimum 5 years of direct experience in environmental planning (e.g. assessments or permitting) in a lead or supporting role;
Experience in planning and executing projects with limited supervision; and
Experience north of 60º is an asset.
The Direct Utilization target is for this position is 85%. The standard work week is 37.5 hours, Monday to Friday. Project and business development demands may require additional hours to be worked on an occasional basis, and where fieldwork is involved.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Environmental Scientist
Primary Location: Canada-Northwest Territories-Yellowknife
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 190000R2
Back to top