Environmental Inspector/Monitor, Independent Contractor
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
As an Environmental Inspector/Monitor, you will be responsible for verifying construction activities are undertaken in accordance with environmental commitments, regulatory permits/approvals, and environmental legislation. Key responsibilities include monitoring the day-to-day construction activities (e.g., erosion and sediment control, watercourse crossings, clearing), providing feedback to contractors on environmental issues, supporting the project management team, preparing daily and monthly field reports, and providing input to regulatory submissions. By taking a proactive approach to environmental management, the successful candidates will help our client's projects get built in an environmentally responsible manner. Other job responsibilities are described below.
Some experience is required, however, we are looking for a variety of years of experience carrying out environmental fieldwork.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Developing and promoting a site culture of safety, environmental, quality and regulatory compliance
- Ensuring project construction work meets the Environmental Management Plan and approvals
- Conduct construction activity inspections and reporting
- Possibly perform field monitoring of aquatic and terrestrial environments
- Possibly assist in performing avian, aquatic and terrestrial surveys
- Assist in preparation of reports required by environmental permits and approvals
- Lead and/or facilitate kick off, progress, environmental, safety, quality, socioeconomic, and other meetings
- Interact with Contractor construction management team on a daily basis to proactively address issues and overcome challenges
- Monitor field team performance and identify opportunities for improvement
- Prepare daily, weekly, and monthly Environmental Management Plan progress reports as required
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Demonstrated experience in project development and management
- Knowledge of environmental legislation as it relates to British Columbia
- Willingness to travel for project work
- Strong interpersonal and social skills and ability to interact across a broad range of audiences/ technical backgrounds including internal and external clients and regulatory agencies
- Able to work in office and field setting, visiting construction sites and working in outside weather conditions
- Willingness to work 12-hour days and travel
- Ability to solve complex problems using sound professional judgment, creativity, and innovation
- Valid driver's license and good driving record required
Education and Experience
Bachelor or graduate degree in biology, soil science, engineering or other related disciplines from a recognized university
Some experience is required
Registered Professional accreditation (R.P. Bio., P. Eng., P. Ag. and A.Sc.T., etc.) an asset
As an Independent Contractor, this contract will require proof that you are Incorporated and Registered with WorkSafeBC
Travel expectations: 75 % of the time.
Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities, and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Environmental Scientist
Primary Location: Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Other Locations: Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 75 % of the Time
Req ID: 19000211
Back to top