Environmental Inspector II
- Richmond, VA
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec is currently seeking a mid-level Environmental Inspector II to provide technical support on a variety of projects at Stantec. This position will be part of Stantec's Environmental Services team that provides the full range of expertise needed to address a variety of permitting and approval requirements for various land disturbing projects, including VDOT, power transmission and distribution, and residential/commercial development. Our staff members have established excellent working relationships with regulatory agencies throughout the mid-Atlantic, and our regulatory knowledge and scientific expertise allow us to help our clients develop the most effective approach to securing regulatory approvals and project delivery.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Perform ESC, SWPPP and VWP inspections for sensitive projects and high-profile clients.
- Manage VPDES/VWP projects and support staff to maintain project compliance.
- Communicate and collaborate with the client representatives, agency personnel, and other Environmental/Regulatory Specialists to ensure consistency in project execution.
- Provide technical and regulatory support for development projects in both the pre-project permitting stage and post-approval stage
- Prepare permit applications, including gathering supporting documentation and coordinating comment response with agencies.
- Carry out project work within agreed time-frames and on budget
- Assist in the creation of technical documents in support of regulatory submissions, including permit applications, SWPPP and compliance summaries
- Support and ensure implementation of Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) Policies, Procedures, Standards and Guidelines in the execution of all work and coordinate with HSE professionals during the execution of all phases of project planning and implementation
- Participate in team and independent based work
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Experience in agency enforcement procedures and violation resolution.
- Strong technical writing skills, effective communication, attention to detail and organizational skills
- Familiarity with federal and state regulations and permitting requirements as they pertain to wetlands, natural resources, and cultural resources.
- Excellent computer skills including MS Word and Excel.
- Ability to independently create and work within budgets, manage time, and schedule work.
- Demonstrated team player with the ability to work independently and take initiative
- Excellent technical writing, organizational, and communications skills.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Environmental Science or related field.
- 5 years of experience with VPDES/SWPPP, permitting, SWPPP, pollution prevention, technical reporting, land disturbing activities, wetland and streams issues, and environmental permit compliance.
- VDOT's VSMP, ESCCC, and MS4 Programs including C-107 process.
- Certification as a VA DEQ ESC/SWM Inspector.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Environmental Scientist
Primary Location: United States-Virginia-Richmond
Other Locations: United States-Virginia-Roanoke, United States-Virginia-Fredericksburg, United States-Virginia-Fairfax, United States-Virginia-Williamsburg
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Req ID: 2000019G
Back to top