Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
The role of an Environmental Engineer/Designer is to work on smaller projects, and/or as a team member of a larger project under the close guidance and supervision of a senior engineer/designer. An Environmental Engineer/Designer will assist more senior engineers/designers by performing the routine aspects of environmental engineering assignments and may assist in the analysis of proposed projects. An Environmental Engineer/Designer should be able to evaluate, select, specify, and engineer systems or products for a project, and perform a variety of tasks which may include calculations and field work.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Provide engineering support for projects involving environmental site characterization, environmental remediation, wastewater treatment, and environmental compliance.
- Work with other engineering disciplines and professionals in the coordination of the project under the direction of a senior engineer/designer.
- Perform field work as directed by a senior engineer/designer. This may include subcontractor oversight, erosion & sediment control inspections, soil boring and well installation, groundwater sampling, pilot testing, material sampling, etc.
- Perform basic calculations to analyze and design environmental system components using specialty software packages such as Surfer, EarthSoft, GiNT, MODflow, BioChlor, AutoCAD/civil 3D, etc.
- Prepare design documents, permit packages, work plans, reports, tables, and figures.
- Assist with development of erosion and sediment control plans, NPDES permits, and associated post-construction stormwater management plans.
- Assist with engineering duties on projects of various complexity.
- Assist with collecting data and gathering information to support design decisions.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the senior engineering/design staff.
- Assist in basic interpretation and verifying compliance with applicable codes and engineering standards and practices.
- Perform a variety of tasks which may include analyzing proposed project solutions to ensure reliability, resource efficiency, and cost effectiveness.
- Construct models to identify project specifications and meet related needs by performing routine aspects of engineering assignments.
- Follow established standards, policies, procedures, and guidelines to complete entry-level and routine assignments.
- This position is part of a larger environmental services team and will likely require support to multiple Stantec offices. Travel will be required.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Be willing to learn new skills while, work independently for long hours in potentially inclement weather conditions, and be flexible in undertaking work assignments.
- Have excellent verbal communication and technical writing skills.
- Understand environmental engineering concepts and effectively communicate ideas to others.
- Be proficient in interpreting sketches, drawings and other similar material.
- Be conscientious, detail-oriented, organized, and disciplined.
- Build and maintain productive professional and personal networking relationships within your technical team.
- Be proficient in commonly used software (e.g., Word, Excel, AutoCAD/civil 3D, GIS, etc)
- Pre-employment drug and alcohol screening and physical are required.
- Good driving record and valid driver's license are required.
- Work assignments may require a TWIC card.
- Typical field work environments require the ability to walk and stand for extended periods of time on uneven terrain, lift and move items and equipment up to 50 pounds, and climb a ladder. Field work will include exposure to inclement weather conditions. Work assignments will be both field and office based.
- Typical office environment involves working with computers and remaining sedentary for extended periods of time.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Environmental or Civil Engineering.
- Engineer-In-Training (EIT) or Professional Engineer (PE) is preferred, but not required.
- 3-5 years of related work experience.
- Co-op/Internship experience preferred, but not required.
- OSHA 1910.120 (40-hour HAZWOPER) training is desired, but not required.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Environmental Designer
Primary Location: United States-Pennsylvania-Plymouth Meeting
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 1900029Z
Back to top