Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
As an Environmental Engineer your role is to work with general supervision and direction on average sized projects, and as a team member of a larger project under the guidance of a senior engineer/designer. You will participate in the evaluation, recommendation, and specification for engineering principles to select the best plan involving the collaboration with multiple stakeholders and expertise within the company. You will assist in verifying compliance with applicable codes and engineering standards/practices.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Provide appropriate engineering input and a technical overview to design activities residing within or outside the project team
- Prepare environmental permitting and reporting, conduct and or lead field work and manage existing and or new projects.
- Contribute to cost estimates in small to large sized projects in collaboration with all other disciplines
- Ensure that the deliverables provided to the project are technically accurate, within specifications, scope, budget and schedule, suitable for the intended purpose and in compliance with quality procedures and project plans
- Create material requisitions and, if necessary, review quotations for compliance with technical specifications
- Interface with other departments, project managers, engineers, clients and vendors during all phases of projects to ensure a good working interface and accurate exchange of technical data;
- Collaborate and coordinate with project team to determine and achieve project objectives
- Participate in regular project meetings
- Conduct peer and quality reviews on all applicable projects.
- Working understanding of policies and procedures for HSSE, including client-specific training (as required).
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- General understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications.
- Ability to check the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Thorough understanding of engineering concepts and ability to effectively communicate ideas to others.
- Successful experience to initiate and maintain relationships with internal and external staff and prospective clients.
- Successful experience in client service management, including the ability to interface with clients and to build and maintain lasting, positive relationships.
- Successful experience in decision making, including making sound defensible business decisions; and identifying, assessing, evaluating and solving complex problems
- Solid oral and written communication skills.
- Presentation and interview skills are preferred.
- Must have a good driving record and valid Driver's License.
- 40-hr OSHA HAZWOPER Worker (and current annual 8-hr OSHA HAZWOPER refresher and 8-hr OSHA HAZWOPER Supervisor certification required.
- Prior to employment, this position will require the successful passing of a pre-employment physical and drug screen.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's or Master's degree in Civil, Chemical, Environmental, Water Resources or Mechanical Engineering. Licensed Professional Engineer preferred. Minimum of 5-6 years of experience.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Environmental Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-San Diego
Other Locations: United States-California-Irvine, United States-California-Long Beach
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Req ID: 19000309
Back to top