Engineering Project Technician/Civil Specialist
Your Opportunity We're active members of the communities we serve. That's why at Stantec, we always design with community in mind . The Stantec community unites approximately 22,000 employees working in over 400 locations across six continents.
Our work-engineering, architecture, interior design, landscape architecture, surveying, environmental sciences, project management, and project economics, from initial project concept and planning through design, construction, and commissioning-begins at the intersection of community, creativity, and client relationships. With a long-term commitment to the people and places we serve, Stantec has the unique ability to connect to projects on a personal level and advance the quality of life in communities across the globe. Stantec trades on the TSX and the NYSE under the symbol STN. Visit us at stantec.com or find us on social media.
The engineering team at Stantec's Bellevue, Washington office specializes in the engineering and design of public water, sewer, and storm drainage infrastructure and municipal civil infrastructure. Our team includes civil, and environmental engineers, engineers-in training, civil engineering technicians, surveyors, permitting specialists, drafters (CAD and GIS) and other technical and administrative support members. Our engineering team is growing and seeks to add an Engineering Project Technician/Civil Specialist.
Your Duties Carry out responsible technical and administrative duties of varying complexity and broad scope in support of engineering, survey, and construction services to clients.
Engineering Project Technician/Civil Specialist works under the guidance of more experienced Project Technicians/Civil Specialists, Senior Project Technicians/Civil Specialists, Project Engineers, Project Managers, and Principals.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Under the direction of project managers, project technicians, and engineers, carry out engineering support assignments in the planning, design, and contract administration of engineering projects.
- Perform plan and permit reviews, including field observation as required.
- Serve as resident site representative for construction projects, as required.
- Interface with representatives of client organizations, regulatory agencies, contractors, other pertinent parties, and the general public.
- Perform research, collect and compile data on a broad range of topics such as existing site features, land use regulations, permitting, zoning, existing public utilities, and other related topics as required to carry out planning, design, contract administration, construction, and general civil technician assignments.
- Request and coordinate engineering surveys and/or related tests to determine surface and subsurface characteristics of project sites.
- Perform data entry and technical calculations, with or without computer technology.
- Understand and follow company standard CAD procedures for layering, etc., and standard drawing procedures for sheet layout.
- Prepare and check a broad range of project documents such as reports, analyses, bid tabulations, pay estimates, construction grade sheets, and similar items.
- Study data and prepare preliminary sketches and finished scale drawings of proposed facilities utilizing CAD.
- Assist project engineers with preparation of construction contract specifications.
- Prepare exhibits and materials for meetings and public presentations.
- Prepare project memos, reports, and records, and assist project supervisors with the organization and maintenance of project materials and files (filing, etc.)
- Work with project managers, project technicians, and engineers to carry out project administration.
- Assist survey crews during work performed within varying environments.
- Carry out assignments in support of client services.
- Attend training sessions and continuing education programs for personal professional development.
- May contribute to the advancement of the company's business development programs, as required.
- Use various office and clerical equipment to include computer, printer, fax, copiers, calculator, phone, and voice mail.
- Performs other similar and related duties as required.
Your Capabilities and Credentials EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE :
- High school diploma required
- AA degree or college-level engineering courses desired
- Civil Engineering Technician certification a plus
- Minimum two (2) years prior experience in a closely related discipline, demonstrating a progressive level of responsibility and skill.
- Experience desirable: civil municipal utility engineering support, construction observation and administration.
- Skill in communicating clearly and effectively, orally and in writing. Adequate spelling, technical writing, and grammar skills.
- Knowledge and skill in quality review practices and procedures pertaining to the production of applicable documents and materials.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments concurrently, interruptions and deadline pressure. Must be able to discern project priority conflicts and seek resolution from supervisory levels.
- Fluency with Microsoft OFFICE ™ software - primarily Word and Excel.
- Fluency with applicable versions of AutoCAD ™ and Civil 3D preferred.
- Familiarity with engineering policies, procedures, practices, and terminology. Must exhibit satisfactory learning aptitude within probation period.
- Fluent knowledge and skill in relevant math computations.
- Skill in maintaining and organizing extensive files, reports, and project records.
- The employee must be self-motivated.
- Ability to assist the public by answering questions and providing information related to project activities.
- Ability and willingness to work outside in inclement weather situations.
- Current valid Washington State driver's license.
This is a full-time, Fair Labor Standards Act Non-Exempt position compensated on an hourly basis. Hourly employees will receive overtime at 1.5 times their hourly rate for hours worked over 40 in a work week. Non-exempt employees are allowed to use accrued paid time off (PTO) hours in quarter-hour increments. Non-exempt employees are paid based on hours worked, use of accumulated paid time off (PTO) benefits will not be used in the over-time calculation, only hours actually worked.
Engineering Project Technician/Civil Specialist = $26.00 to $38.00 per hour, depending on experience.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The employee uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments independently without specific instruction, within the constraint of supervisory directive and procedural guidelines and standards. Refers deviations, problems and unfamiliar situations not covered by instructions to supervisor for decisions or assistance.
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Charuti oversees the construction and design of transmission line projects that connect new and existing hydropower plants and plans the logistics for rehabilitation of existing projects.
Back to top