Electrical Power Systems Planning Engineer
Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you'll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized power group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting-edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or grid modernization, you'll find yourself working with leaders in transmission & distribution, thermal generation, and renewable energy in one of the world's top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
Stantec is seeking a Power System Planning Engineer to work in our growing Renewable Power Sector. The candidate will have a deep and broad base of knowledge regarding renewable generation, electric transmission systems and transmission system planning processes. The candidate will also have proven experience in the integration of renewable energy sources, particularly utility-scale solar, wind and battery energy storage projects.
The ideal candidate will have specific experience with interconnect studies and application processes in the Northeast power market, especially with New England ISO, NYISO and PJM. CAISO experience is a plus. Offshore Wind experience and previous employment with a major US ISO or Northeastern utility are preferred.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Prepare power system planning studies;
- Decipher and advise clients on interconnection rules and grid codes;
- Lead or contribute to least-cost generation expansion studies;
- Assess the impact on power system performance of integrating renewable energy resources, and advise and evaluate the technical and economic viability of such integration;
- Provide interconnection strategy for utility-scale wind, solar and battery energy storage projects.
- Analyze ancillary services requirements and estimate their value and pricing for frequency and voltage control;
- Develop energy and peak demand forecasting, and prepare load shape analyses;
- Estimate the capital, variable and fixed costs of fossil fuel and renewable energy sources;
- Understand and develop various different electrical schemes and layouts for the interconnection substations;
- Understand and evaluate protection and controls requirement aspects of each connecting utility and develop plans accordingly;
- Lead development of high voltage transmission layouts, both overhead and underground
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Strong computer skills using industry software such as PSS/E, ETAP, or PSCAD;
- Experience with power system modeling including electrical load flow, short circuit, and transient and dynamic stability. solid understanding of VRE integration for utility-scale wind and solar
- Ability to work with a variety of clients and stakeholders;
- Ability to perform under pressure and tight deadlines and work extended hours on an occasional basis to meet project demands;
- Experience in problem solving, writing, consulting, and presenting- excellent writing, oral, and presentation skills;
- Self-motivated and able to work on cross-cultural and distributed teams;
- Requires excellent reading, writing, and speaking of English language.
Preferred but not essential qualifications:
- Offshore Wind experience
- Utility experience with one or more major Northeastern utilities
- Experience as a grid engineer or system operator at any US ISO
- Experience with a Renewable developer as a System Studies Engineer
- Experience with HVDC systems or High Voltage Cable design
- Knowledge of German, Spanish, French or other languages
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from an accredited ABET university and a current Electrical Engineering license in a Northeastern State and 12 years of demonstrable work experience in power system planning;
- M aster of Science Degree in Power Systems Studies from an accredited ABET university and 8 years of demonstrable work experience in power system planning with a broad range of studies that would include among others: integrated resource planning, transmission expansion, generator interconnection, least cost generation expansion, and power system operation
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Electrical Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Quincy
Other Locations: United States-North Carolina-Raleigh
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Req ID: 190002RG
Back to top