Electrical Engineer--Instrumentation and Controls
Stantec is a global 22K person firm with over 400 offices located over 6 continents serving a wide variety of markets. At the Water Division of Stantec, we approach every water and natural resource project we undertake thoughtfully and execute it with excellence across all project phases. We partner with our clients to design fit-for-purpose solutions that address their unique needs throughout the water infrastructure lifecycle. Our experts lead their fields and guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth.
We're a place where you can apply your passion and collaborate with top talent on work that's critical to our clients, our communities, and the industry at large.
Representing the I&C discipline, the candidate Senior Engineer will work independently on projects and lead a team of engineers and/or designers while serving as a Discipline Lead for larger or more complex projects. The candidate Senior Engineer is expected to be able to evaluate, select, specify, and engineer ICA systems for a project. A Senior Engineer will perform a variety of tasks which may include calculations, field work and application of mature knowledge to complex engineering and logistical problems.
- Responsible for large projects of varying complexity.
- Evaluates, selects, specifies, and design engineers all ICA systems or products for a project including DCS / PLC / SCADA process automation systems, historian systems and data management systems
- Engages in the development of a design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats
- Prepares and revises documentation in various phases including site plans, floor plans, diagrams, schematics, and details
- Leads project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or representatives of the client, external consultant, contractor, subcontractor, and vendors
- Participates in client project requirement meetings
- Conducts discipline specific value analysis and basic cost estimating
- Develops and manages the discipline project scope, budget, staffing, and schedule
- Leads the preparation and coordination of the project specifications, drawings and other construction documents
- Participates in project constructability reviews
- Conducts quality assurance and quality control (QA/QC) on projects of responsible charge and projects of peers
- Assists in the development of new standards and specifications for the I&C group
- Assists with the development of proposals for smaller, less complex projects
- Oversees and manages multiple projects
- Serves as Engineer of Record
- Maintains knowledge of I&C water industry trends for project application
- Prepare planning reports, field reports, engineering studies and technical memorandums
- Conduct field reviews of designs under construction and prepare construction review documentation
- Participate in commissioning activities and provide direction to the commissioning team
- Prepare detailed process control descriptions for use by the system integrator
- Actively participate in marketing efforts including strategy planning, development of presentation material and client-facing presentation participation.
Required Qualifications and Credentials
- Expert level knowledge, interpretation, and application of industry standards and codes including NEC, ISA, NFPA, ANSI, etc.
- Proven ability and documented experience in the design of PLC- and DCS-based process control and automation systems, SCADA systems, and data management systems for Water/Wastewater and or Oil/Gas facilities
- Expert understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications
- Expert level knowledge of ICA system design, implementation and operation - means and methods
- Ability to lead one or more teams - with disparately located team members - through all phases of project document production
- Sufficiently knowledgeable and experienced to check the work of others for accuracy and completeness
- Sufficiently skilled in time and resource management to meet project budget and schedule
- Participates and collaborates in project team setting; capable and willing to engage in creative and critical thought sharing
- Advanced understanding of I&C engineering concepts and ability to effectively and professionally communicate ideas to others - both verbally and in written word.
- Strong presentation and interview skills
- Skilled user of Microsoft Office Suite products; general understating of CAD systems (e.g. AutoCAD, MicroStation, etc.)
- Thorough understanding of control system network design and application of cyber security practices
- Proficient in the application of industrial fieldbus technology
- Proficient in the design of ICA systems for hazardous areas and to support safety systems
- Sufficiently experienced to conduct factory testing and field testing / commissioning of ICA systems
- PLC- and DCS-based control system programming will be considered an asset
- SCADA system and database programming will be considered an asset
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or Masters' degree in Electrical or Chemical Engineering.
- PE license or ability to obtain PE license within one year.
- Minimum of 15 years of experience as a control system engineer
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee; other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Job: Electrical Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Colorado-Denver
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Req ID: 180002EM
Back to top