Electrical Engineer - Wastewater Treatment
At Stantec, we approach every water and natural resource project we undertake-whether at the local, regional, or watershed level- thoughtfully, and execute it with excellence across all project phases. We partner with our clients to design fit-for-purpose solutions that address their communities' unique needs throughout the water infrastructure lifecycle. Our experts lead their fields and guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. We're a place where you can apply your passion and collaborate with top talent on work that's critical to our clients, our communities, and the industry at large. Your Opportunity You will contribute to design and engineering for projects of varying size and complexity. As a licensed professional, your duties may include taking responsibility for design and project deliverables; however, work will be completed under the guidance of a Senior Electrical Engineer. You will be responsible for applying engineering knowledge, concepts and experience to size, evaluate, select, and specify electrical power, lighting and auxiliary systems for use on assigned projects in accordance with relevant codes and standards. You will perform a variety of tasks which may include conducting field investigations, preparing design calcuations, developing construction packages (drawings and specifications), and contributing to business development activities. Your Key Responsibilities
- Acts as Engineer-of-Record for projects and/or project components within areas of professional competency.
- Feasibility, conceptual and detailed design of electrical systems (medium and low voltages).
- Power distribution analysis and design of unit substations, grounding, switchgear, motor control, metering, protection and control systems.
- Relay Coordination Studies.
- Load Flow Studies
- Motor Starting Studies
- Short Circuit Analysis
- Voltage Drop Analysis
- Utilizes technologies in development of three dimensional models of electrical systems
- Provides guidance, training and mentorship for junior engineers / EITs.
- Prepares and revises documentation in various phases of design and construction, including plans, diagrams, and details.
- Leads project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor, sub-contractors, and vendors.
- Participates in client project requirement meetings and value analysis and basic cost estimating.
- Assists Senior Engineers with developing and managing the project scope, budget, staffing and schedule.
- Assists in the development of new standards and specifications for the electrical group.
- Works on multiple projects.
- Requisite knowledge and application of electrical and building codes.
- General understanding of all phases of project, document production, and the relationship between drawings and specifications, particularly in the water/wastewater industry.
- Strong knowledge of electrical systems, means and methods, materials, and industry standards.
- Ability to check the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Record of successfully delivering projects on-time and on-budget , while maintaining high standards of quality.
- Thorough understanding of electrical engineering concepts and ability to effectively communicate ideas to others.
- Advanced oral and written communication skills.
- Presentation and interview skills are preferred.
- Well-versed understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, and AutoDesk products (i.e. AutoCAD) and/or Bentley products (i.e. Microstation). Familiarity with Revit is an asset.
- Experience with specialized power system software such as ETAP, SKM PowerTools, and/or EasyPower.
- Mentoring and professional development of other personnel.
EIT License required, with desire to obtain PE License.
Minimum of 5-6 years of experience.
Typical office environment, working with computers and drawings for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to hazards including construction, weather, and industrial operations that may be experienced at water and/or wastewater related facilities.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Jon is responsible for growing Stantec in the northwest region of the United Kingdom and leading and guiding the team in this area.
Back to top