Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you'll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized power group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or grid modernization, you'll find yourself working with leaders in transmission & distribution, thermal generation, and renewable energy in one of the world's top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
Your Opportunity Every power project is a community project-whether it's a gas plant conversion, a transmission line corridor, or a wind development. Our goal is to improve industrial, business, and local communities through our project work. We see beyond the project at hand to where our work fits in the big picture. Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities.
The Electrical Distribution Technologist/Designer is responsible for providing cost estimates and designs for a diverse range of underground and overhead electrical distribution projects. You will deal directly with clients to establish service requirements and provide solid design solutions and alternatives that meet client needs. You will ensure that facilities are designed in a safe, cost-effective and timely manner and meet all applicable codes, standards and regulations. You will work with other teams to ensure that project related activities are effectively coordinated and executed.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Manage external client relationships through effective and timely communication
- Develop project scope and create supply proposals for a diverse range of distribution projects
- Develop design solutions that meet all applicable codes, standards and regulations
- Monitor project progress and take action to meet client requirements - Update the project management database with relevant and up-to-date information
- Travel and perform field checks as required
- Perform Risk and Hazard Assessments
- Identify potential environmental concerns and initiate appropriate action
- Provide peer review of co-worker projects as required
- Coordinate the installation and commissioning of distribution equipment
- Stake and line locate new services, as required
- Provide informal coaching and guidance to project team members
- Provide technical guidance to customers, stakeholders, and external consultants
- Participate on committees, special projects and business process teams - Participate in special projects or other duties as assigned
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Understanding of project management principles and processes would be an asset
- Working knowledge of MS Office, Etap, Cyme or Cymtcc, PLSCADD, Cadd or Microstation, ABAdata, Pipeline Research, SPIN (Survey Plan Indexing Network) or other related design programs would be an asset
- Knowledge of all applicable codes, acts, and regulations as they apply to the electric utility industry would be an asset
- Knowledge of Land Survey Act would be an asset
- Land and / or survey experience would be an asset Knowledge, skills and abilities: - Adaptability - ability to change and be flexible within a changing environment.
- Strong customer focus with the ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with a large variety of clients and contractors
- Proven ability to work within a team environment or independently without direct supervision; this includes setting a good example, promoting and contributing to the success of the entire team.
- Demonstrated ability to apply sound judgment in troubleshooting and problem solving. - Good organizational and time management skills, able to manage numerous assignments and competing demands.
Must possess and maintain a valid Alberta Motor Vehicle driver's license in good standing.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top