Director, US Tax
Communities are fundamental. Whether around the corner or across the globe, they provide a foundation, a sense of place and of belonging. That's why at Stantec, we always design with community in mind .
We care about the communities we serve-because they're our communities too. This allows us to assess what's needed and connect our expertise, to appreciate nuances and envision what's never been considered, to bring together diverse perspectives so we can collaborate toward a shared success.
We're designers, engineers, scientists, and project managers, innovating together at the intersection of community, creativity, and client relationships. Balancing these priorities results in projects that advance the quality of life in communities across the globe.
Stantec trades on the TSX and the NYSE under the symbol STN. Visit us at stantec.com or find us on social media.
As a member of Financial Services, this position contributes primarily to Stantec's financial services team by providing leadership to our US Tax Team, managing and reviewing the completion of US consolidated and stand-alone entity federal and state tax returns, managing and reviewing US and certain related non-US components of our quarterly and annual tax provisions in coordination with our global processes surrounding these provisions, and working in collaboration with our global tax team to support strategic tax planning transactions and tax efficient structures.
Reporting to the Director, Taxation, this is a replacement of an existing position within a very strong team.
- Work closely with Director, Taxation and Corporate Leadership on global tax planning initiatives, including modeling tax effect of transactions and planning initiatives on tax positions of the company. Identify and implement opportunities to reduce our effective tax rate.
- Manage the US-based and certain global components as inputs into our consolidated quarterly and annual worldwide income tax provision, including consolidation of certain foreign and domestic calculations, inputs into effective tax rate forecasts and computations, and interacting with senior management and external audit firm.
- Coordinate and review current and deferred tax account reconciliations, valuation allowance positions, uncertain tax positions, and permanent reinvestment assertions.
- Liaise with Financial Reporting and external audit firm with respect to managing close calendars, addressing technical accounting issues, and coordinating tax accounting entries.
- Manage and review all aspects of US income tax compliance, including federal and state income tax returns, the coordination of foreign portions of the consolidated income tax return, and all tax filings, elections, and disclosures (including foreign tax credit computation and §861 allocations; information reporting for CFC and foreign disregarded entities and Subpart F inclusions).
- Liaison with third party advisors regarding US tax issues, disclosures and planning opportunities as required. Liaison with other various in internal teams as required.
- Assess and implement processes to meet compliance with new tax laws and regulations.
- Provide technical guidance on income tax issues as well support SEC reporting and U.S. GAAP and IFRS accounting issues related to income taxes.
- Identify and assist in implementing improvements to the efficiency of the global tax accounting processes, procedures, and technology.
- Maintain and document the procedures and controls related to tax accounting and compliance functions in compliance with SOX requirements.
- Support federal and state income tax audits as necessary.
- Lead or support tax due diligence on US-based transactions / acquisitions
- In coordination with other Financial Services leadership, manage overall tax compliance with US state and localized sales and use taxes, and other taxes as necessary.
- Developing and mentoring staff to reach full potential.
- CPA with over 10 years post designation combined experience in big-4 public accounting firm experience and/or multi-national corporation.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of US income tax laws and principals.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills, and proven experience in managing a team.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, with proven ability to successfully manage the timely completion and review of consolidated income tax provision and tax returns, manage competing priorities.
- Preferred but not required:
- Engineering & Construction industry experience
- Working knowledge of OneSource, Oracle, and JE Edwards E-1
Job ID 34433
# of Openings Remaining 1
Experience (Years) 10
Discipline Financial Services
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Charuti oversees the construction and design of transmission line projects that connect new and existing hydropower plants and plans the logistics for rehabilitation of existing projects.
Back to top