The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future-join us!
Stantec's Buildings group in Chicago is a 100-person group that provides Architecture and Interior Design across multiple sectors including Workplace, Hospitality, Mixed-Use, HigherEd, Healthcare, DOD/Civic, and Retail. This office serves as design hub for the buildings practice. Our team is passionate about the design quality of the built environment and create designs that are timeless, intelligent, and sustainable. This is the place where great ideas and rewarding careers call home.
In this role, you will be a part of the Workplace Studio and work under the direction of the Lead Interior Designer. In partnership with your team you will interpret and translate the needs and desires of a client as well as any architectural direction set forth into cohesive interior design solution. This process may involve production of drawings (2D/3D), and written material to support the conceptual direction of interior design and FFE. This individual will often be required to present their ideas in formal and informal settings with a willingness and desire to hear and respond to constructive feedback. An individual at this level in their career is expected to perform their role within the standard of care acceptable to their peers in the industry. An Interior Designer is expected to work collaboratively with the architectural team, conceptualizing, developing and documenting varying aspects of interior design of a project, including but not limited to space planning, interior architecture, interior materials and palette, specifications and FFE.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Conducts basic interpretations of sketches, drawings, codes, program and other similar material.
- Supports project team in the development of interior design documentation and presentation materials.
- Assists in the development of a design through sketches, physical models, electronic models, diagrams, massing studies, and other visual formats.
- Utilizes BIM technologies in the development of three dimensional models of buildings and their components.
- Assists in research of concept, benchmarks, materials, typology, and precedents.
- Assists in material and furniture selections, space planning and communication with product representatives.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Good understanding of Revit or at minimum AutoCad and the use of it as a design tool.
- Experience with the most recent design software (Sketch-up, Photoshop, and Illustrator, etc.) is preferred.
- Experience with design equipment (3D printer, laser cutter, etc.) is preferred.
- Ability to hand sketch and communicate concepts and ideas to others effectively. To participate and collaborate in project team setting. To engage in creative and critical thought. To interpret sketches, drawings, program and other similar material. To communicate abstract ideas (verbal/written/graphic).
- Basic understanding of lighting/fixtures.
- Basic understanding of client's expectations of deliverables at different phases of projects including construction documents.
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite; prefer experience with Newforma.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Interior Design or related field. Minimum of 2 years of experience. Registered with appropriate licensing body and pursuing licensure preferred.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Interior Design Coordinator
Primary Location: United States-Illinois-Chicago
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Entry Level
Req ID: 190002R7
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Jon H.Operations Director
Jon is responsible for growing Stantec in the northwest region of the United Kingdom and leading and guiding the team in this area.
Back to top