- Austin, TX
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our build environment -- where we live, learn, play, and conduct business -- carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future -- join us!
Join a Top 10 global design firm in our Texas buildings practice that provides Architecture, Buildings Engineering, and Interior Design services with a long history and deep commitment to the education sector. Our Austin office is seeking a Senior Design Architect to work with our Austin Design Principal.
The primary role of the Design Architect is to interpret and translate the needs and desires of a client into an award-winning building. You will be innovating, conceptualizing, developing and documenting the design of a project. You will be expected to champion our integrated design approach of design excellence, delivered brilliantly. You will work in a collaborative design culture partnering with our multidisciplinary teams to advance innovative and creative solutions to meet and exceed the highest aspirations of our clients and community.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Working with the clients, stakeholders and project teams to create and prioritize goals and objectives, including planning and design process, program, context, sustainability, budget and schedule. Conceptualize a building design from both a functional and aesthetic perspective in concert with a client's requirements, budget and program.
- Development of a design through sketches, physical models, electronic models, diagrams, massing studies, and other visual formats to express the design intent and communicate to project team, client, and building user groups.
- Conduct detailed reviews of design documentation (drawings, plans, specs etc.) to confirm compliance with project objectives including sustainability, program, efficiency, key adjacencies, flow, etc.
- Utilize BIM technologies in development of three-dimensional models of building and their components.
- Champion the creation and presentation of innovative and inspiring design strategies to create high performance environments consistent with the highest aspirations of clients and community.
- Lead design critiques and pin-ups.
- Presenting the building design to stakeholders (client groups and project teams) during early project phases.
- Develop space planning, block planning, and adjacency diagrams in coordination with building program.
- Interpret and apply building codes and requirements of regulatory agencies in development of the building design.
- Evaluate and select building systems and materials.
- Coordinate building systems (structural, mechanical, electrical, etc.) to ensure compatibility with the design intent.
- Implement sustainable design principles into the building design and surrounding environment.
- Analyze site incorporating geotechnical, hydrological, environmental, social and economic conditions.
- Responsible for projects of average complexity/size.
- Develop building design in accordance with cost parameters.
- Participate in development of the program and other pre-design efforts.
- Ensure that design intent is maintained through documentation and construction.
- Present the building design to stakeholders (client groups and project teams).
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Architectural license is required.
- LEED Green Associate Accreditation or LEED AP preferred.
- Ability to hand sketch and communicate concepts and ideas to clients effectively.
- Ability to apply accessibility codes, applicable building codes, and life-safety codes to the design of a wide variety of project scopes and complexity.
- General knowledge of building construction systems, constructability, materials, and industry associated standards.
- Ability to participate in a project team setting and lead the team.
- Ability to lead one or more teams through the development of design concept.
- Ability to check work of others for accuracy and completeness and manage team to meet project budget and schedule.
- Ability to interpret sketches, drawings, codes, building program and other similar material.
- Ability to present abstract ideas to the client and client representative.
- Ability to engage in creative and critical thought.
Education and Experience
10 years of design experience required.
Architectural design experience in educational, commercial, and healthcare facilities is preferred.
Degree in support of an Architectural license required (accredited Master's degree or 5 year Bachelor's degree).
Experience with modeling/drafting software (Autodesk Revit, AutoCAD).
Strong experience with design software (Sketch-up, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) required.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activies, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activites may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location: United States-Texas-Austin
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Req ID: 190000SJ
Back to top