- Columbus, OH
At Stantec, we approach every water and natural resource project we undertake-whether at the local, regional, or watershed level- thoughtfully, and execute it with excellence across all project phases. We partner with our clients to design fit-for-purpose solutions that address their communities' unique needs throughout the water infrastructure lifecycle. Our experts lead their fields and guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. We're a place where you can apply your passion and collaborate with top talent on work that's critical to our clients, our communities, and the industry at large.
An opportunity exists for Construction Inspector within our Ohio Water Group.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Provide single-point field inspection of the construction contractor's work representing the Construction Manager in the field on heavy highway, transportation and infrastructure projects.
- On a daily basis, monitor, inspect and document the construction contractor's work and prepare a comprehensive written Daily Report that includes such observation and description of all work activities, measurement of installed material quantities, an accounting of labor and equipment resources utilized, a statement of general compliance or non-compliance with the work, and supporting video and photographs of the work in progress
- Inspect and verify contractor compliance as detailed in the ODOT Construction Administration Manual of Procedures and the Construction and Materials Specifications.
- Communicate directly, both verbally and written, with construction contractors regarding conformance or non-conformance to standards, plans, specifications and codes.
- Review, analyze and document any construction issues potentially resulting in a scope, time or cost impact to the work of the Contractor which may result in a change to the contract.
- Review and maintain master as-built and record drawing information maintained by the construction contractor.
- Attend, as necessary, Weekly Progress Meetings with Contractor, including review of progress to planned schedule.
- Assist with Developing project specific quality control and quality assurance documents and standards for projects that are under development.
- Plan and coordinate all field testing and inspections in accordance with the Contract Documents.
- Document compliance and non-compliance with established quality control and quality assurance procedures.
- Review and submit all test reports for inclusion in turnover documentation to Owner.
- Prepare written reports documenting QA/QC inspections, non-compliance notices, and corrective actions.
- Assist with observing, documenting and approving of authorized Force Account change order work performed on a time and materials basis, documenting the use of contractor labor, equipment and materials.
- Review the monthly progress pay estimate submitting by the construction contractor to verify requests for payment of materials, percent complete and earned value.
- Prepare and monitor a project punchlist for deficient or uncompleted work by the construction contractor.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
The Construction Inspector will work at a project site and will be required to work in a manner that ensures personal safety as well as the safety of fellow employees by following project and company health and safety guidelines and policies for planning and executing work in a safe manner.
Understand and interpret contract documents and test plan for a designated Work Package for a specific construction activity.
Ability to effectively discuss project issues with clients and reviewing agency.
Education and Experience
- Experience: Minimum of six (6) years of construction project technical, transportation or heavy highway bridge work involving substructure and superstructure inspection experience required.
- Education: Successful completion of Associate's Degree in Civil Engineering Technology, Construction Engineering Technology or Construction Management is preferred.
Must meet one (1) of the requirements:
- Certification: National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET) Level II in Highway Construction Inspection Certification; or
- Successfulcompletion or ability to successfully complete the following tests within six(6) months of employment required:
- ODOT FlexiblePavement Test; and
- ODOT TrafficWork Zone Test
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Construction Inspection
Primary Location: United States-Ohio-Columbus
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Req ID: 2000019E
Back to top