At Stantec, we approach every water and natural resource project we undertake-whether at the local, regional, or watershed level- thoughtfully, and execute it with excellence across all project phases. We partner with our clients to design fit-for-purpose solutions that address their communities' unique needs throughout the water infrastructure lifecycle. Our experts lead their fields and guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. We're a place where you can apply your passion and collaborate with top talent on work that's critical to our clients, our communities, and the industry at large.
Stantec is seeking a Construction Inspector in our Columbus office. The successful candidate will work on challenging and diverse tasks in a consulting and construction management role that will require application of technical skills, project delivery, and leadership for construction projects.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Provide single-point field inspection of the construction contractor's work representing the Construction Manager in the field.
- On a daily basis, monitor, inspect and document the construction contractor's work and prepare a comprehensive written Daily Report that includes such observation and description of all work activities, measurement of installed material quantities, an accounting of labor and equipment resources utilized, a statement of general compliance or non-compliance with the work, and supporting video and photographs of the work in progress
- Communicate directly, both verbally and written, with construction contractors regarding conformance or non-conformance to standards, plans, specifications and codes.
- Ensure Contractor prepares prompt requests for information (RFI's) for questions that may affect the construction schedule.
- Review, analyze and document any construction issues potentially resulting in a scope, time or cost impact to the work of the Contractor which may result in a change to the contract.
- Review and maintain master as-built and record drawing information maintained by the construction contractor.
- Attend, as necessary, Weekly Progress Meetings with Contractor, including review of progress to planned schedule.
- Plan and coordinate all field testing and inspections in accordance with the Contract Documents.
- Document compliance and non-compliance with established quality control and quality assurance procedures.
- Work with Construction Manager to implement methodology and criteria to resolve any non-compliance notices previously issued.
- Prepare written reports documenting QA/QC inspections, non-compliance notices, and corrective actions.
- Assist with observing, documenting and approving of authorized Force Account change order work performed on a time and materials basis, documenting the use of contractor labor, equipment and materials.
- Review the monthly progress pay estimate submitting by the construction contractor to verify requests for payment of materials, percent complete and earned value.
- Prepare and monitor a project punchlist for deficient or uncompleted work by the construction contractor.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- The Construction Inspector will work in a field office at a project site and will be required to work in a manner that ensures personal safety as well as the safety of fellow employees by following project and company health and safety guidelines and policies for planning and executing work in a safe manner.
- Understand and interpret contract documents and test plan for a designated Work Package for a specific construction activity.
- Ability to effectively discuss project issues with clients and reviewing agency.
- Demonstrates competency in technical/functional aspects of the role.
- Exercises independent judgement in selecting and interpreting information and handling deviations from standard methods.
- Uses discretion and judgment in resolving problem.
Education and Experience
- A technical 2 year degree/diploma/certificate in a related program; or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Prefer degree in construction management or professional discipline specific field from an accredited institution.
- Experience with the ODOT or Columbus Construction and Material Specifications preferred.
- Minimum of 5-6 years of experience.
Position will work in both a field and office setting. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Must be available to travel for out of town projects when needed. Must have a valid Driver's License in the state of Ohio. Must meet Stantec Insurability guidelines.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Construction Inspection
Primary Location: United States-Ohio-Columbus
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 2000002V
Back to top