Construction Administrator, Transportation
We create great places and the connections that get people and goods moving-whether by car, bus, train, plane, or their own two feet. Working within the context of the communities we serve, we provide planning, engineering, and infrastructure management services that fit the needs of our clients and improve the overall transportation experience. Join our team and help us keep communities connected.
Imagine being part of a dynamic team that designs innovative solutions for our diverse set of clients. Stantec's Transportation Group is currently seeking a full time Construction Administrator based out of our Ottawa, ON office to complement our Field Services team. The Contract Administrator will play a lead role in the delivery of construction administration services with the City of Ottawa. The ideal candidate has the ability to solve complex problems using sound professional judgement, creativity, and innovation including effective coordination of internal and external constituents, demonstrated experience on roadway bridge construction projects, effective meeting facilitation and negotiation skills and knowledge of regulatory requirements.
Due to expanding business opportunities in Ottawa and elsewhere within the company, this position offers potential for growth in the areas of technical / professional development and project management.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Direct, organize and control work to administer medium to large contracts
- Proactively coordinate and monitor field activities involving surveyors, prime contractors, testing and inspection firms and commissioning agents.
- Supervise a staff
- Compile field data in report form for review of project designer
- Prepare contract specifications, construction staging and traffic arrangement schemes
- Check contract documents and review design for comprehensiveness, errors and constructability
- Ensure work on contracts proceeds according to plans, procedures, contract specifications and quality
- Carry out inspection activities to ensure conformance
- Check and inspect contractor's work with drawings and related contract documents
- Conduct site surveys, confirming scope of work, obtaining relevant information, equipment and materials
- Arrange site access and conduct survey
- Assess scope of work
- Monitor staff levels, training coaching junior staff as required
- Manage the construction budget, act as liaison with clients and issue invoices as appropriate
- Address contractor questions by working closely with superintendent and other construction staff
- Keep track of contractor activities
- Approve work and progress payments
- Accountable for confirming that work on contracts proceeds in accordance with approved design and contract specifications
- Perform work within established guidelines, procedures and practices
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Advanced Claims Dispute Resolution training is an asset
- Knowledge and understanding of Ontario Provincial Standards and Specifications (OPSS), Ontario Provincial Standard Drawings (OPSD), Contract Documents including Agreement, General Conditions of Contracts, and Special Provisions
- Knowledge of construction survey and layout
- Knowledge of construction methods and materials
- Knowledge of the requirements of relevant legislation such as the Occupational Health and Safety act and Environmental Protection Act
- Experience working with MS Project considered an asset
- A valid Ontario 'G' Driver's License and access to a vehicle
- Proficient in critical path scheduling.
- Experience working with MS Project and/or Primavera considered an asset
- Proficient in working with MS Office programs
- Experience working with Builterra considered an asset
- Ability to work with AutoCAD is considered an asset.
- Ability to work both in English and in French is considered an asset.
Education and Experience
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Civil Engineering or Civil Engineering Technology / Technician
- Minimum 5 years' experience in Road and / or Heavy Construction with a focus on roadway and structural work related to roadways and bridges
- Demonstrated Construction Administration experience as a Contract Administrator or equivalent of 5 or more similar Ministry of Transportation Ontario (MTO), City of Ottawa or other municipal projects with a construction value of least $5,000,000, with greater than $15,000,000 preferred
- Either registration as a Professional Engineer with PEO or as a Technician or Technologist with O.A.C.E.T.T. with Road Construction Contract Administration (RCCA) designation
Position will work in office and field setting. Visits construction sites and works in outside weather conditions.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Construction Management/Coordination
Primary Location: Canada-Ontario-Ottawa
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 190003DA
Back to top