Commercial Combination Inspector
Your Opportunity: We put the engine in buildings engineering. Intelligent design. Innovative execution. These are the elements of buildings engineering that rev us up. With decades of experience under our belts, we're achieving remarkable results with our work in building technologies, energy, and environmental performance. Our team of interdisciplinary engineers works collaboratively with clients to design buildings and processes that are on track for safety, performance, and sustainability.
Our team of interdisciplinary code professionals work collaboratively to assure client designs comply with life-safety requirements of the international codes. Our history with local and regional jurisdictions and tribal governments includes plan review, field inspection, and interim building official.
Stantec's Tucson office is looking for a 3 full-time Combination Building Inspectors who are responsible for approving residential construction and moderately complex commercial projects such as new construction, remodels, tenant improvements, industrial, medical, retail, and office buildings. Inspections shall be based on current applicable codes, ordinances, and administrative directives which are enforced by the jurisdictions that Stantec Consulting Services provides services.
Your Duties: Responsibilities include:
- Reading and interpreting building plans and specifications.
- Providing concise written documentation regarding deficiencies and approvals, and other document maintanence.
- Facilitating client and site owner interactions to communicate requirements and find solutions.
- Inspection of commercial sites to ensure compliance with all applicable building codes, client zoning codes and ordinances, and approved plans, supplemental documents, and product specifications.
- Communicates deficiencies in written and/or electronic reports based on client instructions and assists contractors, owners, or owner's representatives in code conflict resolution to achieve code and plan conformance.
- Interprets code requirements and educates all customers as needed on code requirements for all disciplines.
- Approves alternate methods of construction within their scope of authority as permitted and assigned by the jurisdiction.
- Records approvals and denials in client software program(s) as directed.
- Ensures sites meet minimum code requirements and standards and releases information in accordance with established procedures.
- Maintains regular and reliable attendance.
Your Capabilities and Credentials:
- Minimum three (3) years of experience inspecting residential and/or commercial construction disciplines including architectural, zoning, energy, structural, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical.
- Candidates must also possess current International Code Council certifications as stipulated below. Other combinations of experience and education meeting the minimum requirements may be substituted.
- Candidates must show experience and knowledge of a variety of building code disciplines including, but not limited to, building, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical as well as the ability to work independently in the field and exterior conditions.The international codes are complex and require a variety of interpretations based upon the specific conditions of each construction project, including the scope of work, nature of work, age of existing building, codes applicable during the original construction, and current code requirements.
- Driver's license with satisfactory driving record required.
- Desired candidates prioritize customer service, integrity, and a commitment to support growth and fiscal responsibility.
- IBC, IMC, IPC, IRC, UBC, UPC, UMC, and NEC codes, ordinances, and directives, including building, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing as applied to new and existing residential construction projects.
- Various construction materials and methods and stages of construction.
- Mathematical principles required to interpret related technical calculations.
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Cooperate with internal and external Stantec clients and the general public.
- Read and accurately interpret plans and specifications.
- Objectively interpret and consistently apply code requirements and related standards in accordance with department policies.
- Interpret and apply code minimum requirements and all related ordinances, standards, and specifications.
- Observe and monitor site construction for compliance with operational procedures.
- Communicate in the English language and perceive colors (regarding electrical wiring standards)
- Use graphic instructions, such as blueprints, plans, schematic drawings, or other visual aids.
- Comprehend and make inferences from written material.
- Organize, distribute, and maintain jurisdictionally approved documents and directions (plans, permit files, stop work orders, ordinance violations, and miscellaneous documents).
- Bend and stoop continually or repeatedly, raise arms above your shoulders, climb up/down ladders, traverse construction sites at various stage of completion, work at elevated heights (above 10 feet), and/or travel across uneven ground during inspection work.
- Provide written, electronic, and oral communications to clients and owners as well as maintain and organize those records.
- Prioritize customer service, integrity, and a commitment to support growth and fiscal responsibility.
- Work safely without presenting a threat to self or others.
Must possess four (4) of the following discipline certifications OR an ICC Commercial Combination Inspector certification:
- Building: ICC Residential Building Inspector OR ICC Commercial Building Inspector
- Electrical: ICC Residential Electrical Inspector OR IAEI Electrical 1&2 Family Dwelling OR ICC Commercial Electrical Inspector
- Mechanical: ICC Residential Mechanical Inspector OR ICC Commercial Mechanical Inspector
- Plumbing: IAPMO Plumbing Inspector OR ICC Residential Plumbing Inspector OR ICC Commercial Plumbing Inspector
- Energy: ICC Residential Energy Inspector/Plans Examiner OR ICC Commercial Energy Inspector
Some positions will require the performance of other essential and marginal functions.
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Charuti oversees the construction and design of transmission line projects that connect new and existing hydropower plants and plans the logistics for rehabilitation of existing projects.
Back to top