Combination Building Inspector
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future-join us!
Our team of interdisciplinary code professionals work collaboratively to assure client designs comply with life-safety requirements of the international codes. Our history with local and regional jurisdictions and tribal governments includes plan review, field inspection, and interim building official.
We are looking for full-time Combination Building Inspectors who are responsible for approving residential construction and moderately complex commercial projects such as new construction, remodels, tenant improvements, industrial, medical, retail, and office buildings. Inspections shall be based on current applicable codes, ordinances, and administrative directives which are enforced by the jurisdictions that Stantec Consulting Services provides services.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Read and interpret building plans and specifications.
- Provide concise written documentation regarding deficiencies and approvals, and other document maintenance.
- Facilitate client and site owner interactions to communicate requirements and find solutions.
- Inspection of commercial sites to ensure compliance with all applicable building codes, client zoning codes and ordinances, and approved plans, supplemental documents, and product specifications.
- Communicate deficiencies in written and/or electronic reports based on client instructions and assists contractors, owners, or owner's representatives in code conflict resolution to achieve code and plan conformance.
- Interpret code requirements and educate all customers as needed on code requirements for all disciplines.
- Approve alternate methods of construction within their scope of authority as permitted and assigned by the jurisdiction.
- Record approvals and denials in client software program(s) as directed.
- Ensure sites meet minimum code requirements and standards and release information in accordance with established procedures.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Prior experience with and knowledge of a variety of building code disciplines including, but not limited to, building, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical.
- The ability to work independently in the field and exterior conditions.
- The international codes are complex and require a variety of interpretations based upon the specific conditions of each construction project, including the scope of work, nature of work, age of existing building, codes applicable during the original construction, and current code requirements.
- Desired candidates prioritize customer service, integrity, and a commitment to support growth and fiscal responsibility.
- Driver's license with satisfactory driving record.
- Knowledge of:
- IBC, IMC, IPC, IRC, UBC, UPC, UMC, and NEC codes, ordinances, and directives, including building, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing as applied to new and existing residential construction projects.
- Various construction materials and methods and stages of construction.
- Mathematical principles required to interpret related technical calculations.
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to:
- Cooperate with internal and external Stantec clients and the general public.
- Read and accurately interpret plans and specifications.
- Objectively interpret and consistently apply code requirements and related standards in accordance with department policies.
- Interpret and apply code minimum requirements and all related ordinances, standards, and specifications.
- Observe and monitor site construction for compliance with operational procedures.
- Communicate in the English language and perceive colors (regarding electrical wiring standards)
- Use graphic instructions, such as blueprints, plans, schematic drawings, or other visual aids.
- Comprehend and make inferences from written material.
- Organize, distribute, and maintain jurisdictionally approved documents and directions (plans, permit files, stop work orders, ordinance violations, and miscellaneous documents).
- Bend and stoop continually or repeatedly, raise arms above your shoulders, climb up/down ladders, traverse construction sites at various stage of completion, work at elevated heights (above 10 feet), and/or travel across uneven ground during inspection work.
- Provide written, electronic, and oral communications to clients and owners as well as maintain and organize those records.
- Prioritize customer service, integrity, and a commitment to support growth and fiscal responsibility.
- Work safely without presenting a threat to self or others.
Must possess four (4) of the following discipline certifications OR an ICC Commercial Combination Inspector certification:
- Building: ICC Residential Building Inspector OR ICC Commercial Building Inspector
- Electrical: ICC Residential Electrical Inspector OR IAEI Electrical 1&2 Family Dwelling OR ICC Commercial Electrical Inspector
- Mechanical: ICC Residential Mechanical Inspector OR ICC Commercial Mechanical Inspector
- Plumbing: IAPMO Plumbing Inspector OR ICC Residential Plumbing Inspector OR ICC Commercial Plumbing Inspector
- Energy: ICC Residential Energy Inspector/Plans Examiner OR ICC Commercial Energy Inspector
Other certification combinations will be considered dependent on experience and knowledge.
Minimum 3 years of experience inspecting residential and/or commercial construction disciplines including architectural, zoning, energy, structural, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical. Possess current International Code Council certifications as stipulated above. Other combinations of experience and education meeting the minimum requirements may be substituted.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Building Technologist/Technician
Primary Location: United States-Arizona-Tucson
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 100 % of the Time
Req ID: 190000I1
Back to top