Coastal Engineering Specialist
Your Opportunity: 2,500 Environmental Services staff. 20 technical specialties. 900 professional associations. An international team with local expertise. You could say we know a little something about the environment. Our passion for it drives our work. Grounded by safety, quality, and ethics, we come up with solutions that perfectly fit the site. We know what it takes to balance competing project interests with creativity and efficiency. We know what to look for. And, we know how to get the job done-the right way. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec Consulting Services Inc., seeks a Coastal Engineering Specialist at its facility located at Laurel, MD.
- Generate mesh for numerical modeling using SMS and performs simulation of coastal circulations and wind-generated waves using ADCIRC, Delft3D, STWAVE, and SWAN.
- Performs coastal engineering analysis in support of coastal flood hazard studies under a predefined framework, specifically wave runup/overtopping analysis, and wave overland propagation analysis.
- Develops computer programs using Python and Matlab to automate data processing and post-processing of numerical model results.
- Produces large scale flood maps using Geographic Information System (GIS) based on physical principles and with the use of Python/Arcpy for automating. Provides technical assistance to the Water Resources Services department in areas of coastal, hydrologic, hydraulic and water quality design and analyses, specifically riprap design, riverine modeling using GeoRAS/HecRAS, automating pre-process of raw data from Stream Stats using Python/Arcpy.
- Develops automated cost estimator for contracts using Excel/VBA. Prepares design documents in support of projects including reports, graphics, presentations and technical review folders.
- Responsible for completing design calculations for coastal and civil engineering practice: including marine structures, rubble mound structures, geotechnical/foundation designs, hydrodynamics/fluid mechanics, drainage and flood control infrastructure, dredge/fill, and sediment disposal site designs.
- Prepares design plans and specifications for bidding and construction purposes. Completes construction oversight and administration duties including shop drawing approval, review of contractor surveys/progress reports, and execution of final certification(s) upon project completion.
- Provides engineering leadership at a project level task and working with other engineering staff to complete projects.
- Completes tasks assigned by a Senior Coastal Engineer and works with junior engineers to complete engineering studies and design projects.
Your Capabilities and Credentials:
- Master of Science degree in Coastal Engineering with the subject matter focus of coastal hydrodynamics, linear wave theory, non-linear wave theory, numerical solution of wave movement, and sediment transport mechanics.
- Additionally, the applicant must have experience with:
- Numerical modeling tools for simulating coastal circulation, nearshore waves, sediment transport and morphology change in the context of flood hazard analysis or other coastal engineering projects;
- Obtaining engineering data, processing information, creating set-up procedures for computer modeling, making adjustments to model input, reporting results, and discussing findings relative to engineering projects;
- Computer programming and scripting languages such as MATLAB and Python for data manipulation and process automation;
- Compiling and execution of parallel numerical code on Linux environment cluster;
- Making adjustments as results are calculated, to computer code and creating high-level programs to resolve complex problems;
- Performing ArcGIS and geospatial data analysis to display results;
- Deep understanding of the principles and practices of coastal engineering and the flood hazard impacts of climate change and sea level rise on the coastal zone; and
- Completing complex engineering calculations for the design of projects located in the coastal environments.
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Charuti oversees the construction and design of transmission line projects that connect new and existing hydropower plants and plans the logistics for rehabilitation of existing projects.
Back to top