Coastal Engineer - Mid Level
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top water professionals on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has water down to a science.
Stantec's Water Resources sector is seeking a highly motivated Coastal Engineer to join our rapidly growing team in Texas and deliver projects in a multi-disciplinary team environment. Stantec is a leader in the coastal engineering industry with a deep bench of expertise and our dynamic Coastal Engineering Team leads and supports a wide variety of coastal work across the US. It is an exciting time to join us as we serve our client's needs and create more opportunities for our staff's growth and development. Team members are expected to be able to contribute in several areas of coastal engineering and be an expert or developing expert in at least one of the following areas:
- Natural Hazards and Coastal Risk
- Coastal Hydrodynamics and Morphology
- Design and Analysis of Coastal Structures, Ports, Harbors, and Waterways
- Coastal Management, Environmental Restoration, and Enhancement
- Field Measurements, Instrumentation, Remote-Sensing
Your Key Responsibilities
As a Coastal Engineer, you will be responsible for delivering successful coastal projects and working as part of an integrated team to develop cost effective, practical coastal engineering designs and construction solutions for our clients. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Work in a manner to protect the health and safety of Stantec employees, clients and the public by following company health, safety and security guidelines and policies.
- Communicate and apply with a high level of understanding the principles and practices of coastal engineering, coastal hydrodynamics, wave theory, and sediment transport mechanics.
- Complete complex engineering calculations and modeling for the design or analysis of projects located in coastal environments, such as large coastal storm risk management (levees and floodwalls) and ecosystem restoration projects.
- Provide engineering leadership at a project level task and working with other engineering staff to complete projects.
- Complete tasks assigned by a Senior Coastal Engineer and works with junior engineers to complete engineering studies and design projects.
- Plan, schedule, conduct or coordinate detailed phases of the coastal engineering work in marine related projects.
- Prepare cost and project estimates, job budgets and schedules.
- Coordinate work with other coastal engineers and professionals within and outside own discipline, and with support services staff.
- Maintain and enhance our reputation with clients, approval agencies and industry professionals as an outstanding service provider.
- Remaining current on regulatory policy and rule changes.
- Maintain consistently high standards of delivery, quality, flexibility, and innovation.
- Enhance the reputation of Stantec through preparation and presentation of papers at professional society conferences and seminars.
- Coordinate with Stantec leadership and client contacts routinely to explore future opportunities, budget planning, and staff resourcing needs.
- Other duties or responsibilities as assigned.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with ability to conduct effective client and agency presentations and written technical report preparation, as well as effective skills working in diverse team environments with staff, clients, and stakeholders.
- Fieldwork, such as reconnaissance, measurements, construction inspection, or instrument handling and deployment.
- Completing design calculations for coastal and civil engineering practice: including marine structures, rubble mound structures, geotechnical/foundation designs, hydrodynamics/fluid mechanics, drainage and flood control infrastructure, dredge/fill, and sediment disposal site designs.
- Coastal engineering analysis in support of coastal flood hazard studies under a predefined framework, specifically wave runup/overtopping analysis, and wave overland propagation analysis.
- Preparation of design plans and specifications for bidding and construction purposes.
- Construction oversight and administration duties including shop drawing approval, review of contractor surveys/progress reports, and execution of final certification(s) upon project completion.
- Application of numerical modeling tools for simulating circulation, waves, water quality, sediment transport, or mixing (e.g. ADCIRC, Delft3D, SWAN, Mike, CORMIX).
- Computer programming (matlab, python or similar) and navigating Linux environment.
- Drafting and/or geospatial design (GIS, AutoCAD, Microstation, SMS).
- Skill in Microsoft Office software (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access, and Project).
Education and Experience
Minimum Bachelor of Science degree in Civil, Coastal, or Environmental Engineering with 4-10 years of experience in one of the areas of expertise listed above; Master of Science Degree preferred.
Current registration as Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) preferred with ability to obtain reciprocity in multiple states, or ability to obtain PE license within 6 months.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Texas-Houston
Other Locations: United States-Texas-San Antonio, United States-Texas-Dallas, United States-Texas-Austin
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Manager
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 190002XI
Back to top