- Pasadena, CA
At Stantec, we approach every water and natural resource project we undertake-whether at the local, regional, or watershed level- thoughtfully, and execute it with excellence across all project phases. We partner with our clients to design fit-for-purpose solutions that address their communities' unique needs throughout the water infrastructure lifecycle. Our experts lead their fields and guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. We're a place where you can apply your passion and collaborate with top talent on work that's critical to our clients, our communities, and the industry at large.
As a Professional Engineer on our Structural Team your role is to work with general supervision and direction on multiple projects, and as a team member on larger projects under the guidance of a Senior Structural Engineer. You will participate in the evaluation, analysis, calculations, design drawings, recommendations, and specifications for engineered systems or products for projects, verifying compliance with applicable codes and engineering standards/practices.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Perform preliminary and detailed structural analysis and design for Water and Wastewater Treatment Plants, Reservoirs, other Hydraulic Containment Facilities, Industrial and Administrative Buildings
- Design, analyze and specify primarily reinforced concrete, masonry and structural steel systems
- Be responsible for projects of varying complexity and size
- Lead or support an engineering Team responsible for evaluating, selecting, specifying, and engineering all structural engineered systems or products for a project
- Lead or support an engineering Team responsible for the preparation and revisions to documentation in various structural phases including conceptual design, detailed design, and construction support.
- Engage in the development of a design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats
- Utilize computing technologies for the development of three-dimensional models of structural systems and provide markups for junior engineers/designers
- Lead or support project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor, sub-contractors, and vendors
- Participate in client project requirement meetings and value analysis
- Assist project technical leaders and project managers with developing and managing the project scope, budget, staffing and schedule
- Lead or support preparation and coordination of the project specifications with construction documents
- Be responsible for the preparation of structural calculations using company standard software, and proprietary manufacturer software
- Assist in the development of new standards and specifications for the structural group
- Work on multiple projects, simultaneously
- Assist in project administration including writing reports, gathering information, drafting proposals, drafting correspondence, tracking project costs and completing progress reports.
- Review Contractor's shop drawing and submittals regarding structural work and investigating and developing engineered solutions to Contractor's Requests for Information.
- Assist technical staff in field activities including structural observations, monitoring and other fieldwork.
- Working in a manner to ensure your personal safety and that of fellow employees by following company health and safety guidelines and policies.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Requisite knowledge and application of structural design codes, standards, and applicable building codes
- General understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications
- Strong knowledge of structural systems, means and methods, materials, and industry standards
- Ability to check the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought
- Thorough understanding of structural engineering concepts and ability to effectively communicate ideas to others
- Advanced oral and written communication skills
- Presentation and interview skills are preferred
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite
- Requires experience producing 3D models and 2D structural engineering drawings using Bentley Structural and Microstation, or Revit and AutoCad
- Requires experience using structural engineering/finite element analysis software such as STAAD, RAM, SAP2000, RISA
- Requires heavy civil construction field experience
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Civil or Structural Engineering required; Master's degree preferred.
- California licensed Professional Civil Engineer required; licensed Structural Engineer preferred.
- Minimum of 5-6 years of experience.
Typical office environment working with computers and working at a desk for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-Pasadena
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 200000U6
Back to top