Civil Water Resources Project Engineer
At Stantec, we approach every water and natural resource project we undertake-whether at the local, regional, or watershed level- thoughtfully, and execute it with excellence across all project phases. We partner with our clients to design fit-for-purpose solutions that address their communities' unique needs throughout the water infrastructure lifecycle. Our experts lead their fields and guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. We're a place where you can apply your passion and collaborate with top talent on work that's critical to our clients, our communities, and the industry at large.
The role of an intermediate or
mid-level civil engineer (water resources emphasis) is to work independently
on smaller projects, and as a team member of larger projects. Candidate should
be able to evaluate, select, specify, and engineer systems or products for a
project. The engineer will perform a variety of complex tasks which may include
calculations, field work, coordination of tasks and personnel. The projects
assigned may be complex, broad, varied and diverse in scope. You will analyze
proposed projects to ensure structural reliability, resource efficiency and
- May work on multiple projects and be responsible forprojects of average complexity/size.
- May serve as Engineer-of-Record (EOR).
- Perform or lead more complex engineering design taskson assigned projects under supervision of the Project Technical Lead orProject Manager, including engineering drawings, engineering reports,presentations, and required applications to regulatory and/or fundingagencies.
- Engage in the development of design through sketches,electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats.
- Prepare and revise documentation in various civilphases including site plans, utility plan/profiles, grading plans, crosssections, diagrams, and details.
- Lead project coordination meetings with internal teammembers and/or external consultants, owner and contractor,sub-contractors, and vendors.
- Participate in client project requirement meetings andvalue analysis and cost estimating.
- Involved in the permitting process of projects, whichmay require meetings with clients, contractors, reviewing agency personneland governing entities.
- Manage and lead other team members while working onprojects; complete tasks and delegate specific project tasks to other teammembers as appropriate.
- Assist senior engineers/designers with developing andmanaging the project scope, budget, staffing and schedule.
- May lead the preparation and coordination of theproject specifications with construction documents.
- Prepare contract documents for construction (i.e.engineering drawings and specifications).
- Participate in constructability review.
- Conduct quality assurance and quality control on ownprojects.
- Assist in the development of new standards andspecifications for the discipline.
- Prepare portions of engineering project proposals,change orders, client contact and communication pertaining to specificprojects.
- Support the civil team in providing services duringconstruction that can include submittal reviews, responses to requests forinformation and contract document clarifications.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Has well-developed understanding of general concepts ofrelevant areas of civil engineering design, including gravity and pressuresystems, geotechnical considerations, survey, storm water/drainage design,road design, erosion and sediment control, and grading.
- Possesses excellent time management skills; thoroughunderstanding of task assignment and schedule, budgeting and efficient useof time and resources.
- Ability to effectively discuss project issues withclients and reviewing agencies.
- Thorough understanding of codes, legal and designrequirements in relevant jurisdictions.
- Well-developed understanding of all phases of projectdocument production and the relationship between drawings andspecifications.
- Strong knowledge of civil systems means and methods,materials, and industry standards.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (specifically MicrosoftExcel), as well as relevant discipline software programs, which mayinclude AutoCAD Civil3D, ArcGIS, HEC-HMS, HEC-RAS, PCSWMM/XPSWMM (or othermodeling software).
- Ability to solve complex problems using soundprofessional judgment, creativity, and innovation.
- Ability to check the work of others for accuracy andcompleteness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project teamsetting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Possesses team leadership skills; excellent written andverbal communication skills.
- Strong presentation and interview skills are preferred.
or equivalent in Civil Engineering. Master's degree is preferred.
Licensed Professional Engineer.
Minimum of 4-10 years of experience.
Typical office environment working with computers and working at a desk for
long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, dutiesor responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties,responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any timewith or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's
talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us
and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Kentucky-Lexington
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 190002ON
Back to top